can anyone build a pin pointer from scratch???

R

Rustbelt Rosie

Yeah, I made one of these and they actually don't work too bad. The problem with the G/B box is that it is extremely thin plastic and the battery compartment won't stay closed. Just for the heck of it, to have a back up to my Bullseye, I am going to see if I can pick up a project box from R'Shack and move the board from the homemade unit into it. (And shorten the probe length a bit.) It's easy to make. Also if one of you guys get stuck and can't find the G/B unit..pm or email me, I THINK I have another one around here somewhere.
G'luck to ya!
Rustbelt Rosie

WV_Detecting

Oct 24, 2005
WV
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I have made the one from the link posted above, it worked fine but is no comparison to the manufactured pinpointers, but then again I have had problems out of them as well. I would like to build one from a manufactured model (broken of course) and try and get the probe end into a thin appendage like an arrow shaft or something of similar thinness. I am just not techy enough to either accomplish it or spend the time trying right now, maybe one of these days. End thought sounds like a good project using one of the 30$ detectors, ripping it apart and building one.......

Stainless Steet Rat

May 15, 2006
I am new to detecting but I used to work at an electronic shop. I took a 20 dollar little wizard II stud finder and made it into a pinpointer. One side of the coil is more sensitive that is the side I put end first into the 5 inch thin plastic tube I added. I turn it on and it will beep and the first led will light up keep turning the knob then stop right when it stops beeping. It will pick up a dime at about 1 inch and a quarter at about 1.5 inches. As you get closer to the target more leds will light up. The box says the operating freq is 90Khz, I would guess if I could lower the operating frequency down it could be more sensitive.

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
Here's a project I put together about three years ago, Not from scratch but very close.

Using a powerful Pi circuit board, some spare 100k pots, miniature probe and a gutted out fisher 1225-X housing, Here is the final finished product.

It's very powerful, Operates off two 9-volt batteries "18 volts" and can detect a buried coin 5-6" inches, Very smooth threshold operation.

I use it mainly as a hip mounted probe, inserted inside a handle mans tool pouch. Even works as a Pi beach detector when using the larger 8 and 11" coils.

Did you ever end up making a probe?

HH, Paul (Ca)

Attachments

• T2, Tejon and 3300 032.jpg
    T2, Tejon and 3300 032.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 2,444
  • T2, Tejon and 3300 034.jpg
    T2, Tejon and 3300 034.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 1,683

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
Thanks Mighty,

Yes, I can adjust the sensitivity on the miniature unit, By reversing the delay knob will reduce sensitivity.

Also, I can increase/decrease the SAT speed by changing the value of a resistor on the circuit board depending on the area the user would live which will change the sensitivity.

Thanks again,
Paul (Ca)

Mike95inNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 2, 2006
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5, Minelab Musketeer Advantage
Here's one I made a few years ago. It got swallowed by my basement.Recently found it. I'm going to take it apart and redo it. I think it's too long. You have to dial in to just the right spot for it not to sound off. One question I have is if I rewind the ferrite core with more windings will it work any better? Just a thought.
Thanks,Mike in NJ

Attachments

• DSC02003.JPG
    DSC02003.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 2,889
  • DSC02002.JPG
    DSC02002.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 2,530

prizm II

Dec 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites prizm II
I made mine from a "Little Wizard II". $15 to $20 at Harbor Freight or on line. The tip is made from a "SUPER SHARPIE" marker. I used epoxy glue to seal the end. When you take the Wizard apart the coil has about 4" of extra wire so you can insert the coil into the marker pen. I get about 1" on coins.

Attachments

• Wizard-II.....gif
    Wizard-II.....gif
    147.7 KB · Views: 1,358
  • Wizard-II...gif
    Wizard-II...gif
    158.1 KB · Views: 1,615
  • wizard-II.gif
    wizard-II.gif
    111.9 KB · Views: 1,429
  • wizard-II.gif
    wizard-II.gif
    111.9 KB · Views: 1,195
  • Wizard-II...gif
    Wizard-II...gif
    158.1 KB · Views: 1,418
  • Wizard-II.....gif
    Wizard-II.....gif
    147.7 KB · Views: 1,180

DANNYGEE

Oct 27, 2005
GREENLAWN, NY (LONG ISLAND)
Detector(s) used
2-6000 di pros
Found this a few months ago and it works good as pinpointer.
folds in HALF
price is right. FROM GRAINGER
try it you'll like it!

Metal Detector, Checks Fuses, Continuity and Diodes Grainger Item # 6JG68
Price (ea.) $17.86
Brand WESTWARD
Mfr. Model # 6JG68
Ship Qty. 1
Sell Qty. (Will-Call) 1
Ship Weight (lbs.) 0.25
Usually Ships** Today
Catalog Page No. 838

Attachments

• 6JG68.jpg
    6JG68.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 2,094
  • 6JG68.jpg
    6JG68.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 2,082

oldguypromo

Jan 20, 2007
I have one of these I use for a pinpointer but had to make a couple of minor changes to it. It was not loud enough for me so I drilled some holes in the cover where the name Westward is located and in the battery cover, helped a lot. The light is located in the wrong position to see when you are holding this pointer down, so I drilled a hole in the cover above the light and put a gob of hot glue in the hole leaving the glue sticking up above the hole a little, now the light lights-up the glue. This pointer is a good deal for $17 bucks although it only has a range of about 1 inch.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread