Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't speak to the At Pro. I own the F5. I love it. There is no other machine that is so tune-able, has an interface that gives you so much info in real time, fast recovery, and can change settings without having to go through many layers of menus. For a mid-range detector, it can't be beat. How many used At pros do you see for sale compared to F5's? I would suggest you also get a sniper coil for the trashy areas. In the end go with your gut. Which machine does the things you want it to do? What machine presents the info in a way you like? If you had to listen to it all day, which would make sense to you?

Last edited:

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm debating on buying an AT Pro or the F5 with an 11" DD coil.

Does anyone on here have any experience with both? Which do you prefer?

I have an AT PRO & a Fisher F75 SE... The F75 runs circles around the AT PRO...

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
RGV, you need to first ask what you plan to do with it? Is it a single machine for all applications or are you looking to fine tune adjustments for specific types of hunts? The F-5 was created for the purpose of a dials oriented machine, for the person who likes to fine tune the machine outside a menu bar with saved settings. The F-5 is a similar platform to the newer lines from First Texas Products including Teknetics Omega 8000, Euro Tech Pro and Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro. I have used both and some of the other models and I will tell you there is a purpose for different detectors as specific tools. Don't buy into one is better than the rest that some like to say. The At Pro has the advantage of water and elements proofing, something most other models do not have. The AT Pro also has some very unique features for Iron targets. The F5 has a unique button interface, with the ability to fine tune beyond what other detectors are able to do with menu driven architecture. To say one is better than the other I can not say, but then these are two completely different machines for two completely different situations, styles and types of hunting. The F-5 has more of a learning curve. Good Luck!

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used both detectors. The F5 is a coin magnet! I like the constant ground mineralization info and the large display screen. The AT Pro does well in iron and is fully waterproof. You won't do wrong with either machine.

Give me a call if I can answer any questions . I have a used F5 available for sale.

Wayne

(832) 928-9135

Www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The AT Pro is probably easier to learn than an F5. The F5, once learned, has more control over the ground and a constant readout of ground conditions. I personally liked the knobs and buttons that could be adjusted on the fly, rather than thumbing through menus. I also think the Jewelry, Coin, Relic modes are a waste of time. I have those on my LRP and never use them. I like to either set up my discriminate or use AM. It helps to have a memory that keeps your settings. I have that with the LRP, but the F5 cannot do that. You have to start from scratch each time. The Teknetics Omega is the sister F5 detector that has more digital options. I'd consider that over the F5 if you are just getting into detecting.

foiled_again

Jan 29, 2013
DFW area, TX
Detector(s) used
CZ7a, Compadre (wader mod), Land Ranger Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Two years ago I was looking for a new machine and narrowed the choice down to the AT Pro and F5. I got a good deal on the F5 and went with that, and never looked back. There were some things I liked about the AT Pro (mainly the waterproof feature) but there were some things that concerned me; for one, the display seemed a little small. Also, while the AT Pro is a bestseller, there were some comments from people who utterly despised it--not the case with the F5 as far as I saw.

Over the course of this year the F5 beat out my other two detectors (CZ-7A, mainly good for beach work which I didn't get to do much of this year, and Compadre wader modification, which I intend for lake work but have mostly used for tot lots). I got an NEL Hunter coil for the F5 in September and haven't had either of the other machines out since...and have had the Hunter off the F5 only once, to work a trashy area with a 5" sniper. I've developed a rapport with the F5 that I've never had with another machine. The arrangement and usage of knobs just makes so much sense to me...it seems I have so much control over settings and adjustments, without stacks and stacks of menus and such.

OP
OP
RGV_Digger

RGV_Digger

Dec 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to start off by saying thank you to everyone who commented on here.

After reading for hours and watching videos on both rigs I've decided to get the ATP. I really liked the pinpointing meter on the garrett along with the it being waterproof. I live in close proximity to a very popular island which allows digging. I also really liked the option to hear iron audio with the press of a button and the large amount of resources online for the ATP.

Again thanks for your input.

Happy Hunting

Jeffsh

Greenie
Dec 28, 2014
Sacramento, califor
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000, XLt, Mxt, GM3 garrett Ace 250 and 350, Fisher F2,f5, Gold bug 2, Minela Sovereign, exploxer ii, Excalibur experience. I use the Fisher F5 and F2.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you buy the Fisher F5, get the NEL Hunter coil, and not the standard 11"dd coil. I own the Fisher F5. I got the concentric coil with mine and its not good. Got the NEL coil 3 weeks ago and finding dimes to 9" deep and found 2 rings today with $3.50 in change in 45 mins with the F5 today. I also own the F2 and that is a great machine, also.
I owned a garrett and sold it, the don't handle mineralization well and you will getting false targeting. Good luck with your choice, I have a hunting partner who hunts with the at pro, and he gets smoked every time by my Fisher F5, especially on depth, recovery speed, and target Iding.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread