Can anyone date this can?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The following pics are of a can I found yesterday near a mine entrance (closed up). I'm thinking it goes back to the "rush" period. Any comments? ╦╦Ç

can 1.JPG can 2.JPG can 3.JPG can 4.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lead seal cans like that (dimple on the bottom) were outlawed in the United States in the early 1970's. They are sometimes still sealed that way south of the border.

The can you have there was a condensed milk can. They were the last cans to be sealed with lead in the US so they could potentially date to the 1970's. If there are a lot of them around it's probably a depression era camp. Condensed milk was a staple of camps during that era.

The amount of rust would indicate the same 1930's era if you found it in the desert. If it's in wetter areas of central California I'd guess it's a lot more recent.

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lead seal cans like that (dimple on the bottom) were outlawed in the United States in the early 1970's. They are sometimes still sealed that way south of the border.

The can you have there was a condensed milk can. They were the last cans to be sealed with lead in the US so they could potentially date to the 1970's. If there are a lot of them around it's probably a depression era camp. Condensed milk was a staple of camps during that era.

The amount of rust would indicate the same 1930's era if you found it in the desert. If it's in wetter areas of central California I'd guess it's a lot more recent.

Heavy Pans
I must admit I only did a short look around. I did not see any other metal at this site. I'll tell you what I DID find. Five pieces of quartz, all tested positive for non-ferrous metal. Not saying gold YET but will crush and pan to learn what is making all the noise (beeping). Stay tuned. ╦╦Ç

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What's her name? I could probably take her out for a drink or two.

Sorry I couldn't resist.
Just remember, though, not without dinner and a movie first. ╦╦Ç

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
can opener where not invented for 48 years after the can,(crazy),so i all ways look to see how the cans were opened.
brad

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The folded Norton side seam came about in 1887 and the one piece cap in 1904. After 1904 the the top and bottom caps were mass produced same as today.
Before then they were soldered and built by tinsmiths.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I felt I must re-test the five rocks.... maybe the MD20 was not in tune. All the rocks again tested good. One, not so good. But four were indeed good. Below are three pics of the most "noisy". You can see a spot of native gold. Sorry, best pics I can get from this little camera. ╦╦Ç

Rocks 1.JPG Rocks 2.JPG Rocks3.JPG

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That sounds like it would be a popular pick up line at a gay bar.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread