• IMG_8880.jpeg
    IMG_8880.jpeg
    629.6 KB · Views: 7

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They look to me like .45 wadcutters.

OP
OP
2Minnesota

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you
They look to me like .45 wadcutters.
. Please forgive my ignorance, but are these newer? They are not like old war bullets? Thanks again, trying to get rid of stuff, but don’t want to get rid of anything that might be worth passing on, donating or selling.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Please forgive my ignorance, but are these newer? They are not like old war bullets?

Honestly, I'm not the guy to ask as I really don't have enough expertise to say if they are old, or aren't. Do you know what they weigh, in grains?

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please forgive my ignorance, but are these newer? They are not like old war bullets? Thanks again, trying to get rid of stuff, but don’t want to get rid of anything that might be worth passing on, donating or selling.

I am not an expert, but they do not look particularly old to me. That doesn't mean they couldn't have been from a war, but it would have been a more modern one if they were.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you

. Please forgive my ignorance, but are these newer? They are not like old war bullets? Thanks again, trying to get rid of stuff, but don’t want to get rid of anything that might be worth passing on, donating or selling.
My opinion, they're cast lead semi wadcutter types for a .45ACP. .45 Colt Automatic. The little round spot on the base is called a sprue mark, indictive of being cast from molten lead in a mold. There's been literally millions of them cast and loaded by handloaders over the years, typically for target shooting or informal plinking. They're not rare, or valuable. .45 ACP cartridges loaded for combat use in a war have a 230 grain full metal jacket bullet. I have no knowledge of any .45 ACP ever being used by any military for combat being loaded with cast lead bullets. If you wish to pursue the subject further you can go to the Lyman or Lee website. They list many types of bullet molds for about any cartridge you can imagine. I have no idea on age, the .45 ACP cartridge has been around since 1911. The wadcutter bullet for that cartridge probably as long.

OP
OP
2Minnesota

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, I'm not the guy to ask as I really don't have enough expertise to say if they are old, or aren't. Do you know what they weigh, in grains?
I do not. I appreciate your help, but I have now thrown them in the donate box. No worries. Going through stuff. Thank you!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread