vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard William Kelley! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

tn_metal_detector.gif
2nd - If no one can identify your find - you might consider posting your pictures on ROCKS/GEMS for more exposure...

Upvote 0

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet fellow Montanian! What you have there is a really nice piece of agateized petrified wood.

Upvote 0

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Semitranslucent dark brown, showing Conchoidal fracture,
and having white-ish oxidized exterior,
means it is a Flint nodule.

Correct, CannonballGuy, however these traits also apply to petrified wood. I'm gonna go with wood on this one.

Bozeman rockhounding site has this to say:

" Petrified Wood
Whether crystallized or agatized, petrified wood can be found in many of the surrounding mountains and streams. A wonderful day trip is to visit the Gallatin Petrified Forest, just south of Livingston in the Tom Miner Basin. This site is geologically unique because many of the trees were petrified in the upright position. You will need a permit to collect samples here because it’s on national forest land, but the permit is free and available at the ranger stations in Bozeman, Livingston, and Gardiner. There is also a half-mile interpretive trail that highlights petrified wood stumps. "

Yellowstone Park and the Yellowstone River are well known for petrified wood.

Montana Wood.jpg

Upvote 0

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm going to go with CannonballGuy and call this flint. It looks like Knife River Flint from N.Dak. Pic below is Knife River. However, there is a similar material called Yellowstone agate that also looks like KRF. Just a guess as I'm in IL and not a western rock expert. Gary

krf nodule.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread