Can anyone help me identify? East Central Ill.

Illinois.jim

Nov 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• KIMG0351.JPG
    KIMG0351.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 56
Upvote 0

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
North blades were the stage before notching of Snyder's points. Not often used in that stage for knives.

Being central Illinois is in the Snyder's area, but I don't think its a Snyder's. Snyder's are a woodland relic and a cobbs is an Archaic.

Stanfield blades, a transitional paleo blade, are very similar in style to cobbs, but have different flaking and basal work.

That said, I would have to ask Illinois.jim: is the blade edge reworked into a beveled edge? Is there any grinding present on the basal area?

blade.jpg

OP
OP
I

Illinois.jim

Nov 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you everyone for the information. We think it is beveled but not positive. You will have to excuse our lack of knowledge here, we are still new to finding artifacts. Hopefully maybe this picture can help.

KIMG0932.JPG

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to TNET. I'm also in E. Cent. IL near Shelbyville Reservoir and we would definitely call that a Stanfield. Early archaic, dovetail related. They used a nice clean piece of Burlington flint from the IL River Valley. Gary

OP
OP
I

Illinois.jim

Nov 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm in Clark county. I drove over lake Shelbyville once a week for 4 years when I drove the pipeline for Marathon after 9/11.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread