Can anyone help with these tools?

Goldstar1

May 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Goldbug Pro ,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone help with these tools or if they are tools ? The first one is an obvious arrowhead But can anyone help with ID , the second is obsidian and obviously worked , it feels like a small scraper or knife when I hold it. The others look worked but I dont know much about NA stuff. These were all found near each other in the southwest , mostly Ute territory but had other cultures as well .
Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• PB021926.JPG
    PB021926.JPG
    964 KB · Views: 125
  • PB021929.JPG
    PB021929.JPG
    1,010.3 KB · Views: 127
Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What state were they found? The black piece may be a Scraper. Does it show edge work? The others look like natural waste flakes.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Looking on my phone, it appears the red piece has the shape of a base and ear, or 1/3 of a point.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Yes on the first one...maybe on the second??? But no on the others...:thumbsup:

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First one point, second probable scraper,third one could be a severely impact fractured one .

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking on my phone, it appears the red piece has the shape of a base and ear, or 1/3 of a point.

I was thinking that too maybe a broken point made into a hafted scraper but in the first pic the right side looks odd almost like outer cortex of stone .... dunno hard to tell from the pic

OP
OP
Goldstar1

Goldstar1

May 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Goldbug Pro ,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help I kind of figured the first two were the only actual tools but the small obsidian one looks worked too . Sorry for the bad pictures . The third one doesnt really look worked or heavily chipped but seemed like maybe something for gutting an animal. Here are a few better pictures . I dont really look for this stuff so I am really just trying to learn , these were just laying all around near a gold prospecting area I was exploring. PB021937.JPG
Any idea on the age or type of the arrowhead? PB021938.JPG , it measures almost exactly 2" long .

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Cool looking finds. Given the area you are hunting they all could be artifacts (points/knives and the leftovers of making points and knives.) Not sure of the type, but the first point (and your last post) is really nice. I'd spend some time looking in that area.

Areas where you find lots of flakes are good areas to find more recognizable artifacts. Your eyes will eventually get better at spotting them.

OP
OP
Goldstar1

Goldstar1

May 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Goldbug Pro ,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres a better picture of the obsidian "scraper" if it is and the small obsidian. PB021935.JPG PB021936.JPG

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the new pictures. Still not quite sure on the type and knowing what state might help. The larger Obsidian piece is definitely flaked along the edge and is most likely a Flake Tool and a very nice one. The other smaller Obsidian piece I missed in the first post but it looks worked as well and could be a small Dart Point. I would search that area really well because there is more there.

OP
OP
Goldstar1

Goldstar1

May 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Goldbug Pro ,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the help and encouragement on these. I dont know if I will make it back this year but if I do I will post anything interesting that I find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions