Can anyone help?

martinj

Jul 10, 2011
I know everyone has been asked over and over I'm sure. But I'm new to all this but very interested. I have read alot of the post. I have gathered alot of good advice. I am looking to buy a MD and dont want to spend alot of course. What I will be using it for is relics and coins but of course I love the stories of looking for nuggets. I live in Georgia and travel the east coast alot. Alot of camping so I want to add to my hobby. I will be traveling to Arizona in Dec for a month hopefully so I am trying to plan ahead. Lots of practice before. Please help Martin

Upvote 0

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Martin.

OK, you're looking for coins, relics, and gold nuggets. Finding one detector to do that is not going to be easy. Gold detectors tend to run at a very high frequency, so they are less than responsive to lower conductivity targets.

Having said that however, I think I can recommend a detector that should do an excellent job with all three of your requirements. Actually, there are two, but they are nearly identical machines.

One is the Gold Bug Pro made by Fisher. The other is the G2 made by Teknetics. Each will run you about $700.00.

No, it isn't cheap, but no gold detector worth its salt is cheap. You can save some bucks on coin machines. You'll pay a little more for decent relic machine. But for a decent gold machine you are getting in $500+ territory.

I would advise you pay particular attention to the G2 as more has been written about it and see if you think that one fulfills all you present needs. I think it will.

Good luck to you.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gold machines are a whole different monster. An expensive monster, and you need a gold machine to find nuggets. When you say you don't want to spend a lot, what exactly is that price range? If I were you, I would look into the Minelab X-terra line, or the Tesoro's. There are rave reviews right now about the Teknetics G2, which I have witnessed to really wok well for coins and relics in high trash. You can call me to discuss some options. 855-966-3563

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both Smudge and Woodland Detectors are giving you some good advice..... Just know there is no one do it all detector, detectors are a lot like golf clubs, different detectors for different situtations......

Good luck and good hunting....

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
martinj, why do you not want to spend a lot on a detector? Of course, if you want good tectin results, you have to buy a decent machine. How much you wanna spend? What is alot? I say spend a few hundred on a decent machine. Find a good experienced friend to show you the ropes. That itself is priceless.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread