Can anyone hunt this place or will I have to pass it by? Help?

Gigisdiamonds

Mar 18, 2005
Kansas
;D Hi everyone ! I don't know if you can help me or not ...not sure what to ask in a way either. I got permission to hunt a place I'm sure there is SOMETHING! I grew up going to this nightclub and know its been there for about 30 years. But today when I got the MD going it went crazy! Sounded like it was doing morse code! It was consistant in doing this. The place I'm hunting is about 12 feet wide and runs a a few hundred feet long. From the curb to some metal poles is about 12 feet and for the most part it was just nuts! It would be quiet for a min. then go off again! I tried all modes to see how it would react if it would still go off or not. On some less then others, like relic mode it went wild! Coin it was still there but OK. So what do I do ? What do I believe? I do know they have a cable line in that 12 feet and I think telephone line buried a few feet from it. Is there anyway this lot can be hunted with the MD it that area? If so, what can I do to hunt it best? I did play with the sensitivity and the decimation. If that will help..how should I set them?
Sorry to go on, but I'm lost...and again quite blonde, so please keep it simple.? :o? ?::)? ;D
I know this sounds really dumb but what should I be hearing for a real target? What should it sound like with a ACE 250? Now you KNOW I'm blonde!
Thanks for your help! HH
? Gigi

Trying to find something before the cold weather hits here for good!? ;)

Upvote 0

Gabbit

Aug 4, 2005
Idaho
Gigi -- my ACE sometimes acted up on me, it was just a matter of changing the batteries. If that isn't the case try turning your discrimination down until the detector isn't going nuts. A coin will have a higher pitch to it where iron will have a lower tone. You can easily set the ACE to just accept those higher tones. It comes with a few pre-set programs, one of which is for coins. The ACE is actually really good at being able to get close to metal bars / posts -- playground equipment and not going nuts. I can't get near as close with the explorer. In my short experience a coin will have a clean tone -- and it should read the same or very close in each direction.

Best of luck!! :D

R

rvbvetter

I can't say for sure, but it sounds like your picking up either electrical or transmitting interference. (transmitting for us blondes is radio waves and the like) If that's the case, about all I know you can do, is go down on your sensitivity. Until it stops or at least it's where you can run with it. HH

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to using an Ace 250 and have already upgraded to a better detector, but I'll try and give ya some advice. When I am in a trashy area with it I turn the sensitivy allllllll the way down and put it on custom mode and disable everything except penny to dollar. If I have it on anything else it sounds like an orchestra going off. Then i just run it over the ground and wait until I get a strong signal that isn't flip flopping everywhere and dig it. It seems to be the most reliable this way for me. You will lose some depth with the low sensitivy but you will dig up less trash (hopefully).

brian

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rvbvetter said:
? ? ? I can't say for sure, but it sounds like your picking up either electrical or transmitting interference.? (transmitting for us blondes is radio waves and the like)? If that's the case, about all I know you can do, is go down on your sensitivity. Until it stops or at least it's where you can run with it.? ? ? ? ? HH

Definitely sounds like a power transformer nearby, seems like a drop in sens. would help as from what I've heard on the forum the 250 is very sensitive.
Although a power transformer is unlikely on a metal pole, there are still some power lines running along there I'm sure. You may also be getting interference from the neon and florescent lights inside as well. Try running maybe 0-1 or so on sens. and disc at 8+.

OP
OP
Gigisdiamonds

Gigisdiamonds

Mar 18, 2005
Kansas
;D Thanks for to everyone that replied! ;D ;D ;D I will go take a pic and post it so you can see how the lay of the land really is and you can get a idea of it. Give me today to get the pic and post . Will try to get it up asap! ;D ;)

HH
Gigi

OP
OP
Gigisdiamonds

Gigisdiamonds

Mar 18, 2005
Kansas
??? I'm not sure if this is worth posting if it will help or not. I drew red lines where there is metal poles, or electric things, or electric wires over head. Still in this small place is a huge man hole and some other thing like a man hole only square ...trying to post pic below. Cable line under ground and telephone wires I believe underground. And across both sides of the streets running next to this place! I'm tried to night so I hope this makes sense to you? Thanks for looking and for helping me out. Will let you know if I find anything here!? ;D ;D ;)

HH
Gigi

Attachments

• Pb030045.jpg
    Pb030045.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 289
  • electric lines or metal.jpg
    electric lines or metal.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 282
  • Pb030036.jpg
    Pb030036.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 277
  • Pb030044.jpg
    Pb030044.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 226

Gabbit

Aug 4, 2005
Idaho
Looks like a difficult area to hunt -- I would say you should be able to hunt it with a bar or two. Watch out for that fiber run, not sure how they shield the cable -- fiber optics are basically made out of streched glass, so I am not sure if your metal detector will pick that up or not.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fiber optics shouldn't interfere with your detector as it works on the principle of transmitted light instead of electric impulses. What you have is an area covered with litter therefore the signals are so close together they run together. The only way I know to combat this is to get a very small coil and try to differentiate out the seperate signals. I use a 4 1/2" coil and work the surface first from one to two inches, then dig the 3-4" targets and finally go for the over 4" deep targets. You should be able to work the edges of the sidewalk and much closer to the metal poles with the smaller coil also. Monty

Gabbit

Aug 4, 2005
Idaho
fiber itself shouldn't be detected, but the shielding around the cable may mess with you unless it is burried at least a couple feet deep.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread