Can anyone ID these finds?

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri
Found these three in a Northeast Missouri creek this past winter/spring. The farm they came off has produced a wide variety of points of various ages.

The larger crescent shaped on looks like it may be a knife to me. It is worked to a nice edge on both sides.

I am guessing the small pink one... must be a bird point?

I was also wondering if you folks think the small white one may be a Madison? You can just see some serration to the sides...the base is has a sharp edge similar to the sides.

Thanks,

Chris

Attachments

• id 2.jpg
    id 2.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 267
  • id 3.jpg
    id 3.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 286
  • id 4.jpg
    id 4.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 275
  • ID 1.jpg
    ID 1.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 271
Upvote 0

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Your little white triangle looks like the tip of a broken point salvaged into an arrowhead or dart point by thinning the base.

Your big one is definitely a Backed Bifacial Knife. The flat edge opposite the cutting edge allows downward pressure that's not hard on the hand exerting it. It's roughly one half of a preform/cache blade.

Now. What is the material it's made of ?

OP
OP
archer66

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri
uniface said:
Your little white triangle looks like the tip of a broken point salvaged into an arrowhead or dart point by thinning the base.

Your big one is definitely a Backed Bifacial Knife. The flat edge opposite the cutting edge allows downward pressure that's not hard on the hand exerting it. It's roughly one half of a preform/cache blade.

Now. What is the material it's made of ?

Uniface,

Thanks for the comments. I was thinking that the knife might be made of Burlington Chert...heat treated thus the orange color. I'm very much an amature at identification of artifacts and in id of various types of Chert. What do you think?? Burlington?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread