๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was in an antique store last week and as I was leaving we struck up a conversation on the civil war. The owner asked me if I saw the Abraham Lincoln print hanging on the wall in another room. She took me to see it and I was totally amazed. It is a print of Abrahm Lincoln and civil war photographer Mathew Brady along with another general. I have seen prints like this but not exactly like this one. She told me that she got it from an estate and the print was taken from a plate and has been in that family for several generations. The print is not for sale as she wants info on when and where it was taken and who the general is. I have gone thru all of my Mathew Brady books and I can not find this one. It measures approx. 4' wide by 3' high. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I tried to take pictures without the reflections showing but did not have any luck.

Attachments

• DSC01316.JPG
    DSC01316.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 222
  • DSC01317.JPG
    DSC01317.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 208
  • DSC01319.JPG
    DSC01319.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 213

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'm thinking George McClellan at Antietam.
Does this look similar?

edit- I see someone already posted it-

Seems I'm always a day late with Mackaydon :notworthy:

Attachments

• LincolnMcClellanafterAntietamBrady_jpg_w180h214.jpg
    LincolnMcClellanafterAntietamBrady_jpg_w180h214.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 153

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there is something about that top pic that looks Edited.

I Get the feeling the Photograper & Camera don't
belong there

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Jeff:
I agree. The original shows a drapped American flag; this pic has the flag 'whitted out'; and many other discrepencies. I wonder if it's a reenactment pic? Another thing: I don't think there's a pic of Brady photographing Lincoln and Mc Clellen--but that is just IMHO. Looks more like two pics combined.
Don....

B

BIG61AL

A quick google picture search found that Lincoln parted his hair on the left. The face looks off, the nose - while straight bridged looked different at the nostrial area. This looks like it was manipulated by the original printer. There is actually way more detail for such a old photo. Something is not right here.

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
The sign image reads: Please Visit The 3rd Level. Next to the sign appears to be a ghost-type image of someone. The photographer image appears a little too clearly defined.

Attachments

• Lincoln Reverse Image.jpg
    Lincoln Reverse Image.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 184

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
No doubt it's been put together. The tent pole splits them perfectly. They aren't looking at each other or at Brady who appears to be giving them instructions. The brightness and size of the imposed photographer and on and on.....

OP
OP
treasurehound

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The american flag and signs are reflections from the store. These pictures don't give justice. I do believe the print is real but I am not an expert. The owner got this from an estate and the family said it has been in there family for many generations. It is on display only and is not for sale. When you see this in person you can tell it is an old print. I have seen the picture of McClellan with Lincoln but not one with Brady. There are some prints with Brady in them but this one I have not seen. And if this is a fake it is a good one. Thanks for all the input.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not even willing to concede that is
Brady

Not only I Can't find a pic of Brady with his
hair behind his Ears ,

this is also the only one where he
reminds me of a Circus Preformer.

Plus who took the Picture ?
& what are the odds they used the same Angle
as Brady in this one ?

AK0PHJ4CAT9I5DACA8NM00ICA8P9BJTCANWB135CA3MMX2RCA054637CA13LVIBCAZ3QM1ZCAVKZZC6CAKAFQEKCAUQGT4...jpg

I was trying to find out what they are called
but Couldn't.

Ever see those pics where they put you in
costume in a Saloon setting ?

I think the pic of Lincoln in the tent
is a Wax Museum setting

& the man is Posing as Brady
with a paste on goatee

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is real then the only thing I can figure would be that it was taken by one of his constituents such as Alexander Gardner who was at Antietam. Maybe Brady wanted a photo of himself (vanity?) which could explain the reason why he is dressed up as such. By the way we do know that both Brady and Gardner were at Antietam, whether they were there together I don't know.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
If it is real then the only thing I can figure would be that it was taken by one of his constituents such as Alexander Gardner who was at Antietam. Maybe Brady wanted a photo of himself (vanity?) which could explain the reason why he is dressed up as such. By the way we do know that both Brady and Gardner were at Antietam, whether they were there together I don't know.

would explain the cumberbun I Guess :tongue3:

Looks like he should be here
im0004501.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions