Can anyone tell me what this is i found it near where a stage stop was in the 1800s

hillbillyinca

Nov 29, 2012
Can anyone tell me what this is i found it near where a stage stop was in the 1800's

image-2215609874.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

hillbillyinca

Nov 29, 2012
I thought that too but if you look it would not go together and it's about 3 to 4 inched long

OP
OP
H

hillbillyinca

Nov 29, 2012
Some more pics

Attachments

• image-2898732190.jpg
    image-2898732190.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 253
  • image-2952087314.jpg
    image-2952087314.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 228

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
It could be a repair chain link that's been pulled out of shape. Or, chain used to be hand forged, so it might not be a repair link, it might be a link that wasn't finished, because making a chain it would have to be placed on the last link, then closed and forge welded. I've never made a chain, but if I did, I think I'd make up dozens of links just like that one before I started linking them together and welding the individual link. When forge welding horseshoes the ends are scarfed just like that link, over lapped, heated to a red heat, borax sprinkled onto the part to be welded, put back in the fire and brought up to a welding heat, and tapped together so that the iron molecules actually flow together, and it's welded. Sounds easy, and it is after you've done it a few times.

OP
OP
H

hillbillyinca

Nov 29, 2012
BosnMate said:
It could be a repair chain link that's been pulled out of shape. Or, chain used to be hand forged, so it might not be a repair link, it might be a link that wasn't finished, because making a chain it would have to be placed on the last link, then closed and forge welded. I've never made a chain, but if I did, I think I'd make up dozens of links just like that one before I started linking them together and welding the individual link. When forge welding horseshoes the ends are scarfed just like that link, over lapped, heated to a red heat, borax sprinkled onto the part to be welded, put back in the fire and brought up to a welding heat, and tapped together so that the iron molecules actually flow together, and it's welded. Sounds easy, and it is after you've done it a few times.

I know about this process I do mountain man reenactment and have a friend I help that is a old Tim black smith I've helped him forge stuff before its ok till it's hot outside too then you are standing over a forge it gets to ya I'm not sure what this but it's old I'm going back up when the snow melts to look for more stuff my wife bought me a m/d for Christmas so hopefully there is something there to find its a foundation of a original stage stop from the 1800's who knows what I might find its the only water in the valley we find arrowheads there all time just walking around the property

Rustyshoes

Jul 4, 2012
NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
new here ,but i think maybe some kinda old clamper for holding a piece of wood down to a table.off set angles looks like it could hold down something ?

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Tension spring?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread