blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
SWR said:
blurr said:
SWR said:
16 pound fence stretcher, eh?

YIKES!!

Not feasible for a come-along or fence (barbwire) stretcher ;)

Any ideas, or just not what chagy thinks?

John

I’m swayed towards the railroad tie tool at this time :)

I'm starting to think you are right. I can't find anything that is shown as a fence stretcher that looks anything like this thing. The railroad tie tongs aren't an exact match either.

John

Upvote 0

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
PBK... you truely are the man!!
Good post, a lot of similarities .
There's a nice page in PBK's link showing how that device is used, to stretch a fence...cool!

By the way... here's the verbiage from the eBay auction from Chagy's example.

Our first impression of this vintage tool was that it is a piece of heavy duty vintage logging equipment such as a peavey or some sort of log tongs that could be utilized with a chain - and perhaps it could be used in such a manner but we have since been informed by fellow eBayers that actually this is an early come-a-long/winch or fence stretcher! We were also told this type of tool was commonly used by the railroads to move heavy loads and box cars from the 1880's to the 1940's. Farmers also used this a a precurser to the modern cable come-a-long and also as an extreme fence stretcher! This massive steel unit weighs nearly 16 pounds (15 lbs 15 ½ oz to be exact)!

It measures 23" long from extended tong to end of handle socket. It features two massive arms which are 8 3/4" long and have huge 2 ½" wide chain gripping claw ends. Each claw is 3/4" thick steel. The width at the center of each tong arm is 1 3/16" thick steel - this is the narrowest point. The width of the opening in the claw ends is 5/8" wide which would accommodate a huge sized chain. The clevis is 6 ½" long, 2 3/4" wide and made of 7/16" thick steel. The main body is 3/4" thick steel and has a series of holes for adjustment. The bolts are ½" diameter and the nuts freely turn on the bolts. The handle socket is massive! The end opening is 2 5/8" in diameter and is 6 ½" deep.

The body has a maker’s mark consisting of the letter "H" in a diamond with a designation of "A33". Each tong arm also has the same maker’s mark with designation marks "A34".

There are no cracks, no welds, no repairs. There is pitting as shown. The entire unit has been cleaned and oiled.

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI, nothing has changed yet.

They are not the same, nor are they designed for the same useage.

The first is definitely a lifting device, the second is a pulling or tensioning one.

I used the term "wire", which could be a fence or even a tel/electrical pole ground support wire.

I cannot see any type of ratcheting device, so it must be a single throw movement, a limited one time, end use, movement.,

Tropical Tramp

Upvote 0

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
RealdeTayopa said:
HI, nothing has changed yet.

They are not the same, nor are they designed for the same useage.

The first is definitely a lifting device, the second is a pulling or tensioning one.

I used the term "wire", which could be a fence or even a tel/electrical pole ground support wire.

I cannot see any type of ratcheting device, so it must be a single throw movement, a limited one time, end use, movement.,

Since the tongs are so close, relatively speaking, it would be useless for moving RR cars, too limited a movement.

Tropical Tramp

I honestly can't find anything that looks exactly the same as the item in question. Apparently no one else can either. I can see what you are saying about the handle going all the way through and it being used to lift something, but can't you find anything that backs it up? This is a tough one, but the items chagy and pbk found are the closest thing I have seen so far.

John

Upvote 0

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Do you get the Idea?

Attachments

• index1.jpg
    index1.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 866
  • index1.jpg
    index1.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 847
  • SKIDDINGTONGS5.jpg
    SKIDDINGTONGS5.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 832
  • SKIDDINGTONGS4.jpg
    SKIDDINGTONGS4.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 888
  • winching.jpg
    winching.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 838
Upvote 0

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This is another similar modern style, There are many different tools to stretch fence...many different styles also....

Best,

Chagy..........

Attachments

• TCS-R.jpg
    TCS-R.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 795
Upvote 0

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK. I believe Chagy was correct (sorry Jose).

If you look carefully at the original piece in question, it has nails driven into the handle. There is no way for the jandle to slide through the head. I believe it is just a cheaper and easier to make version of the same thing.

And basic mechanism is the same as Chagy's and PBK's. Fence Stretcher!

Mike

Attachments

• stretcher1.jpg
    stretcher1.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 817
Upvote 0

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
gollum said:
OK. I believe Chagy was correct (sorry Jose).

If you look carefully at the original piece in question, it has nails driven into the handle. There is no way for the jandle to slide through the head.

And basic mechanism is the same as Chagy's and PBK's. Fence Stretcher!

Mike

Good eyes!!!

John

Upvote 0

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK? And just what does that lovely story of the bonds between men and their tools have to do with the matter at hand? Read the story!

a green wooden pole about 5-feet long. Attached to the center of the pole is what looks like a giant pair of tweezers

Because of the nails/screws going through the head into the handle, the working part of this tool is at the end of however long a handle that is. I still say fence stretcher!

Mike

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
diving doc said:
Upcoming events »
• Cherry Festival at GreenBluff
• Coeur d'Alene Garden Club Tour 2006
• Energy Efficient Lighting Upgrades
• Estate Auctions
• Garden Gate Farms Lavender
• Installing Hardwood Flooring
• Iris Sale
• Leisure Lavender Farm Event of the Senses
• Selecting, Maintaining and Cleaning Carpet
• Street of Dreams Home Tour
• Tree Care Class and Planting Demonstration
ADVERTISEMENT

About us
HOME is a publication of The Spokesman-Review. The print magazine is published on Tuesdays. For more information, contact editor Pia Hansen.

Getting back from coming events in the Spokane, WA area...

diving doc said:
pictures two and three are skidding tongs...........logging tools, right?

They're not skidding tongs, It's just someone's error in labeling the jpeg. You can name/rename the same image anything you like.

Do an image search on "skidding tongs." You will see absolutely nothing that resembles Stever's item as closely as do the devices which have been clearly identified by their manufacturers as fence stretchers.

Upvote 0

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'VE GOT IT!

It's an anal stretcher. I've heard the story about it, but I've never seen one until now.

Here's how the story goes:

A man was late for work one day. He knew that speeding could possibly get him ticketed, but he couldn't afford to be late for work again, so he risked it.

As luck would have it, as he crested a bridge, he saw a motorcycle patrolman sitting at the far end of the bridge aiming a speed gun at him. Naturally, he was pulled over.

The officer pulled up behind the man's car, and walked up to the window. He asked our poor worker bee why he was driving so fast. Our hero responded that because of the complexities of his job, he was required to speed that morning to get to work.

Intrigued, the Policeman asked him what he did for a living that would require him taking such chances. The man replied that he was a professional anal stretcher. Now, the cop just had to know more. He asked what the heII was a professional anal stretcher? The man said that he took raw anuses, and started by inserting two thumbs and stretching it out until he could fit in two thumbs and two fingers. Once it was stretched to that width, he continued on until he could fit more and more fingers, until the anus was six feet tall.

Now the cop was flummoxed. He asked "OK, what do you do with a six foot anus?"

The man replied, "Give it a radar gun and put it on a motorcycle!" ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Enjoy-Mike

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Gentlemen, I leave you to do battle with your giants.

They still look like windmills to me. ;)

Upvote 0

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
As a designer, I can tell you that this won't stretch anything. It could roll logs, but the back hook makes it impractical. probably the railroad tie carrier, or an ice carrier of some sort. didn't bother reading the whole thread, did someone mention that the handle was broken near the mechanism? If it is, it is definately a carrier of some sort. If not, you got me stumped! :)

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PURE EXAMPLES DOC....this was solved when Chagy posted his I believe.

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
okay steel pipe claw...the one I posted is a little more prehistoric but same concept.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread