Can anyone tell me...

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
does anyone know ab out my detector? I just started this hobby and bought a bounty hunter "quick silver" for...well it was marked at $250 but the guy rang it up at $150 and then I got a 25% disc, from Dick's sporting goods. Anyway, my friend and I have been wondering if it is even worth hunting with. People in my area turn up things almost every single time they go out. And I haven't found anything yet. (but only on three tries for about 2 hrs each.) I am going out tomorrow for the duration of the day in a place where I am almost certain I should find things. But is my quicksilver at least decent? or am I wasting time?

Before buying I tried to do a little research and thought I understood that the benefits of the more pricey machines was that it could go deeper, be more specific on the metal type, and some even give you pictures or even video of the object being detected.

I am hoping that the main thing mine will be lacking will mostly be that I will end up digging more trash than with an expensive detector. Is this correct?

Any opinions are much appreciated, lol, and don't sugar coat it. :) thanks guys.

-Jeff

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff,
i have the BH discovery 1100 and 3300. yours looks kinda weak to me. the 1100 has 9 target identifications and my 3300 has about 13 and it has a manual ground balance. IF you can find a 3300 somewhere, it is cheaper and will give you more target options to looks at. if you are a selective digger, then, more target ids is what you want. if you plan to dig anything at any time then what you have is okay. the 3300 are about 130. might find one on ebay.

just because the price is low on them doesn't make the el-cheapo ( mine i mean). copper memorials wreak havoc with my 1100 and it is difficult to pinpoint the objects at certain depths. the "X" pattern shows a copper memorial at just a few inches as being all over the place, like it's dodging me sub-surface. other that the 1100 operates flawlessly and the 3300 as well. i can tell you this. if you dig everything you only need one tone and no depth. if you are selective i would re-shop my machine before you scratch it up and can't return it.

just my thoughts.......keep a postin'.

mgdigger

Jan 31, 2004
Los Osos, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 and ACE 250
It take about a 100 hours to lean a new machine. and evn longer to learn whee to hunt

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Captain Jack;

I have a Radio Shack / Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 (150.00) and a Fisher CZ3D (800.00)

Here's something that is true for both of them: My wedding band air-tests as a pull-tab. A $10.00 gold piece shows up as Iron.

Hence my nick-name

Diggem'

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread