relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I’m not a fan of AI - I think the positive implications will be offset by the negative ones, as with social media which I’m also not a fan of and don’t use ( other than commenting on YouTube and metal detecting forums).
Maybe chat gpt can be used to help us locate more detecting sites? Just a thought- what do y’all think?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I’m not a fan of AI - I think the positive implications will be offset by the negative ones, as with social media which I’m also not a fan of and don’t use ( other than commenting on YouTube and metal detecting forums).
Maybe chat gpt can be used to help us locate more detecting sites? Just a thought- what do y’all think?
What is gpt?
Do you do mapping, as in looking at historical then cross referencing with Google earth?
Lidar mapping is another if your area has been done.

Garrett350@NC

Apr 18, 2023
WIlson, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350
I think that one of the best ways to find sites is at the local library. Researching specific areas for information on past events such as Civil War or places hangings have taken place. Indian settlements things like that just to name a few.
There are no short cuts when it comes to discovery. Keep in mind History goes back thousands of years regardless of your location. Not everything is documented! Ai and metal detecting or two different things and should not be associated. When it comes to metal detecting its all hit or miss. Not finding anything is not completely a loss. Having expectations of a search is not the way to look at things. Just getting out there in the woods and having fun with your metal detector should be the only thing on your mind. Kind of like going Fishing. No guarantee you will get that big bite or any bite at all for that matter. Just get out there and enjoy yourself. You will find sites that could very well be that prize you have always wanted and that no-one else knows about. Cheers My friend!

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What is gpt?
Do you do mapping, as in looking at historical then cross referencing with Google earth?
Lidar mapping is another if your area has been done.
Curiosity won out and I had to find out.
Now that I know-probably it will be of zero help in finding the next keeper from the dirt.

"What is ChatGPT good for?​

ChatGPT is pretty good at generating text which mimics human speech. This is useful if you need a post for a website or social media page, but don’t have the time to write it out yourself. It can also produce code – again, useful if you don’t have the time to write it out yourself.

ChatGPT is also good for just entertaining yourself. Ask it to tell you a joke, or for relationship advice. Just don’t take it too seriously."

malenkai

May 4, 2016
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think so. Generative AI apps like ChatGPT need to be trained on huge datasets. I don't think the necessary datasets exist. As was said, old maps and books in the library are good resources. Alot of this has not been digitized. Old timers and simply driving by the site to look at the grass, trees, and grading also help, and I don't believe this info has been digitized to the extent necessary to train the app, then you have to tell it what to look for. I've been doing this long enough that can drive by a site and have a good idea whether or not it will produce -- I could not do that when I started out. This "domain experience" to use the fancy word, needs to be trained into the app, assuming the digital view of the terrain is detailed enough (lidar is good, but not good enough for this purpose). Throw in different coils, machines and settings that are different for each site, and no datasets on mineralization data on the sites, and the training problem grows even harder. I think it theory it is possible to do this, but in practice, no one will bother to create the data, then train it.

Then, can you train the app to guess whether or not you will get permission. I think so, based on the house, land, cars, and location of the owner, but another hard dataset and training problem. Does the number of "no trespassing" signs posted correlate with permission success? I think so. Has the bot been trained? I don't think so.

I think a use case screaming for AI is TID, particularity weeding out false ferrous high tones. I would expect the next generation of machines, from at least one manufacturer, to at least claim to be able to do this. This also screams for crowdsourcing -- imagine being able to download/upload training data from your machine to the cloud to have a cloud-based TID database. I'd buy such a machine if it actually worked. Near perfect deep TID is the holy grail for VLF machines, assuming we stick with this dinosaur technology

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread