Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pockets were not a common feature in clothing until closer to the mid-1800's.

Before then, coins were strung on a chain, or sewed into clothing or kept around the neck inside the shirt to keep them safe.

I even have a Half-Dime with two holes in it--it was made into a button... the spendable kind. :wink:

Regards,

Buckleboy

melnibe

Feb 6, 2006
Southern Vermont
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX
Hello,

Buckleboy is right on. The holes serve only one purpose and that is to wear them somehow, primarily around the neck but also the wrist. And as you can see in most the hole was made anyway available since they are very crude. Happy Hunting

Melnibe

T

trish76642

i found a 1973 'silver' quarter once in a parking lot with a whole in it, i cant figure out why someone would want to ruin a coin like that. Makes no sense to me.

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
Kids did it in the fortys, beat watching TV. They would make a necklace for a girl.
In the early 40s I made rings out of quarters and dimes (for babies)by tapping on them with a spoon.on the edges. Then cut out the center. Young people had to use their own mind instead of the tv games they play now. I can remember 77 years ago, overalls and dungarees had pockets, with no money, just a knife and flip or sling shot.LOL Gnewt

scdetector

Feb 27, 2006
South Eastern,US
Detector(s) used
Fisher ID Excel, Tesoro Cibola, CZ-7A Pro
I talked to a older gent a while back about the holes in coins who has been a long time detectorist and said along with wearing them many would drill a hole and hang it above there door for luck or something of the sort

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, radarwill, you got some excellent reasons for "holey" coins. Just remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question; just unanswered ones. That's what I always taught my kids when they were little; before they grew-up and discovered that they really DIDN'T know it all. ;D ;D ;D ;D

stoneseeker2003

Dec 7, 2007
Oregon, Willamette Valley(left side).
Detector(s) used
Whites PRL1
Um mm. Guilty!!! :-\
I was 17 and got a silver quarter(1963) in change at the grocery store! Kept it safe till I was 21. Drilled a hole in it and gave it to my "boyfriend", coz that's the year he was born!

8 years later( and 2 beautiful boys), we divorced. He gave me back the quarter said it was bad luck,lol,lol,lol,lol! :icon_scratch:

I still have it on my keychain along with my dogtag and class ring. 31yrs and counting. It's worn now, but I still remember the day I got it!!!

Keepsake, that's why I did it. :wink:

OP
OP
radarwill

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
stoneseeker2003 said:
8 years later( and 2 beautiful boys), we divorced. He gave me back the quarter said it was bad luck,lol,lol,lol,lol! :icon_scratch:

Sounds like he lost his "cents" to me? ???

Thanks for all the info guys and gals.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
stoneseeker2003 said:
Um mm. Guilty!!! :-\
I was 17 and got a silver quarter(1963) in change at the grocery store! Kept it safe till I was 21. Drilled a hole in it and gave it to my "boyfriend", coz that's the year he was born!

I still have it on my keychain along with my dogtag and class ring. 31yrs and counting. It's worn now, but I still remember the day I got it!!!

Keepsake, that's why I did it. :wink:

bah! he was an idiot but look at where you are now.....far better off.....perhaps it was good luck for YOU, not him! rofl I sure love ya lady! ~hugs~

stoneseeker2003

Dec 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites PRL1
Lol, ........... He had 17 Tickets before he got his drivers licence,he was ALWAYS in trouble with the LAW. I met him and things changed,sorta,lol. He was a Commercial Crabber, couldn't swim a lick. He wore the Quarter on a silver chain around his neck. In God We Trust,yup!!!!
He wouldn't wear a silver cross,hmmm. Makes ya wonder who was watching over that boy! :wink: :wink: :wink:

He went on to do his own "thing", got him self into "bad stuff".
So now he lives across the state from me. In Ontario, I think it's the Snake River Facility.

My poor Quarter has been across the us(4 times),out to sea, and Lord only knows what it's seen ,since I got it. But it's safe with me. A little(lot) worse for the wear, but I love this thing!
Sorry for the fuzzy pic, that's the best my poor phone can do!

Attachments

• ring.jpg
    ring.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 279

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Yep! In God we trust! Makes ya look at clad a lot different when you think of it along those lines. Picking up a penny makes me smile. I am oh so very glad you are on seperate sides of the state now and oh so glad to call you friend. :icon_sunny:

stoneseeker2003

Dec 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites PRL1
Lol, Cyn, you are a doll! :D
If you can fix that pic for me , I'd gladly send you some "Texas" money!!!

You want 50,000 or 100,000???? I got lots, lost my Oil Wells though :-\.
The 500,000 bill looks like the "creature From The Black Lagoon", but you could have that one too!
You can keep em for the Granbabies!!!!!!!!! pm me your addy and I'll send em!
W :)M calls so I'm off to work, Hugs Maggie.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
I don't know if I can make it look any better but here is at least a try. Looked pretty good to me, especially coming from a camera phone. I suck at taking pics with my camera! lol

Attachments

• ring.jpg
    ring.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 206

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Grandpa made this.

Heck of a way to treat a $1 coin!

Attachments

• IM000555s.JPG
    IM000555s.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 223
  • IM000556.JPG
    IM000556.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 223
  • IM000555s.JPG