Can i get some oppinions on a few metal detectors

junius1891

Tenderfoot
Aug 12, 2010
arkansas
hi i`m new to this so here it goes. i`m wanting to buy my first metal detector i`ve been looking into three differant ones but i can decide which to get. i`m looking into a garrett gti 2500, whites dfx or i just started looking at a minelab explorer xs. i am knew to metal detecting but i dont want to start with a lower metal detector then move up to a better one mainly cause i cant afford to do that. well truth is the boss "wife" wouldnt let me. so i want to get a good detector to start with that i can learn to use. my grandparents metal detected all over the place and i always loved hearing there stories so i figure mabey its time to make my own stories. my grandmother always liked the whites detectors but i`m just not sure. i like the features off the three i`ve looked at. i live in arkansas so i`ll be doing mostly coin/relic hunting, so if i could get some suggestions on what metal detector i should go with i sure would appreciate it. thanks

Hey i just want to say thank you for the posts so far. i`ve never been on a forum until today and i`m already realy happy i joined this forum. i really appreciate your suggestions its hard to decide when you don`t no anyone personaly that metal detects. my grandparents were real pros at it but there gone now so i cant there suggestions. so once again thank you all and keep the suggestions coming.

I have another quick question. i found a minelab explorer xs for sale but i cant find much on the xs is it an old model and is there much differance between the xs and se. thanks again guys for all the help.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinion being a Minelab user, and a former GTI one. Explorer SE pro would be an easy choice. I know for a fact it beats a GTI in pretty much every application a detector is used for. As for the DFX I hear people constantly talk about how many settings there is, and I'm under the impression you're always wondering if there's something you can do better. (But I've never used - only read) I've only known one person who had a DFX, and he is on this forum and after hunting with us (many explorer users) about 6 or 7 years ago he bought an XS which he used until recently when he got an SE. I use an Explorer II (bought my XS in 2000) and couldn't be happier.

It will take you a while to adjust to any detector but if you have the bug, and want to learn, it will be ok.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had the GTI 2500 used a DFX a time or too, but have a couple years with the whites XLT, and last year switched to the Explorer II. Of All those I would take the Explorer anyday. But you know what they say about opinions? And I got an idea you will get a lot of them. Best of luck finding a machine to suit you. :thumbsup:

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Check out the F75 Fisher. It has won the last two coin shootouts and the last relic shootout. Good Luck with whatever you choose. rockhound

leefields

Feb 25, 2008
Lake Hamilton Florida 33851
Detector(s) used
Excall 2 w/Anderson shaft ...
Minelab CTX 3030 ...
Minelab GT
dealers....here in Tnet...

hey check in with the dealers listed here on Tnet...
you may find some nice used or older model minelab machines that would be great to start with...

the difference with minelab and others is that you wont out grow these machines....you wont out use them either....
you will grow to be a better hunter the more you learn how to use the minelab explorer series...
get the XS or better look for an Explorer 2 or even better look for an Explorer SE....you wont be disappointed...

the machines come with the option of presets right out of the box...you can be hunting in 20 minutes....
the kicker is that most of these can be adjusted (10 different ways to sunday) for your particular hunting needs...

take care of your minelab and 10 years from now it will still be your primary hunting machine...

minelab....well built machines....

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rockhound said:
Check out the F75 Fisher. It has won the last two coin shootouts and the last relic shootout. Good Luck with whatever you choose. rockhound

And Nautilus won the year I was there but had VERY little to do with what detector was used.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Any one of those detectors will work well in most areas of the country. The difference is mainly the learning curve and getting to know your detector. Also the availability of coils can have a big effect on where and what you hunt. Good Luck with whatever detector you decide on. rockhound

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch is right about the Explorer SE compared to the Garrett and White's. I have used the 2500 but don't own one and do have a DFX which I don't use anymore. Don't get me wrong, a monkey could find coins with the DFX and it has enough features to keep you busy playing with changing programs to last a long time. There is a learning curve to any detector and you are wise to start out with one of the top of the line units. The best accessory for you to get would be a small sniper coil for those trashy areas.

Welcome to Tnet too. All questions welcome.

Sandman

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Basically what you want is an instrument that you can get comfortable with. If you are willing to invest the time to learn an instrument than get the most advanced unit you can afford. If you are going after coins and relics, make sure you get a unit that is ad jestable, that has built in and custom programs that suit your needs. You will start off using the built in programs and slowly figure mods to the programs. At that point you will finally wind up using the two custom tuned programs that you have tuned for your area.
Here comes the bias: for the last 10 years I have used a whites XLT with no problems. It will go down 2' FOR large RELICS. It will go down at least 10" for rings and coins. As I understand it, the DFX is similar to the XLT but with multiple frequencies and will probably go deeper. It's an instrument that you won't out grow

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

Welcome to Treasure Net :hello2:

Your first question is very difficult to answer, all the above give good advice :icon_thumleft: I started with a second hand machine over ten years ago, this way if it's not right for you...you haven't spent a huge amount of money.
You will have to take into account were you will detect, inland or at the beach, some detectors arn't much use at the beach. but what ever you choose, you will always get good advice from here :icon_thumleft:

Good luck, and we look forward to seing your finds :icon_thumleft:

SS

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live here in Michigan and i found a chunk of copper conglomerate with my garret master hunter with a box loop. it's at least 3.5 to 4 feet deep my mxt won't find it my 5900 dipro finds even with the stock 950 blue max. the target is 2 foot by 2 foot I'm guessing, I never Doug it out because its not solid copper and it's pretty deep.but i use it as a test nugget.on other peoples detectors.so if your detector can find that then your in business.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread