Can I get started for under $100? Even used equipment?

mrhinman

Dec 29, 2008
Detector(s) used
BH Quicksilver
Upvote 0

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go to big 5 (if there is one in your state) They usually have detectors for around $100.

paratrooper

Sep 20, 2004
Kingman AZ
Under $100 ? I think you can . First you need to find a club . Go to a meeting and announce your desire to learn from them BUT you don't have a detector . I would be willing to bet that when they have their next outing someone will hook you up with their back-up detector . They will talk you through the basics and turn you loose . Folks take great pride in helping new folks . As you begin to hang out there will be those that will take you along on non-club times . Everybody it seems has a back-up detector . You will see who finds what and who seems to know a bit more than some of the others .
Then the day will come when someone will offer you their back-up for a lower than you might think price . This is a safe offer for you to take . If they screw you everyone in the club will know it . They will probably take payments since you will want to be in the club also so you can't avoid them . Not to mention you will always have access to them with questions about the machine as you get better . Not to mention that someday that machine will become YOUR back-up as you move up to a better machine when your accomplishments prove the value of the larger investment . Good luck .

OP
OP
mrhinman

mrhinman

Dec 29, 2008
Detector(s) used
BH Quicksilver
What does anyone have to say about the BH Prospector or the Tracker IV? I can get either for around $100.

--
Matthew
Brownwood, TX

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Did you make an offer on the one at the pawn shop? I have gotten some pretty good deals doing that before. You could offer them about 1/2 of what they are asking for it, I am sure they probably only gave $40 or $50 bucks for them. Good luck, Charlie

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter
If you are interested i have a BH quick silver i would part with for $65 + shipping.

OP
OP
mrhinman

mrhinman

Dec 29, 2008
Detector(s) used
BH Quicksilver
Thanks everyone. I'm eyeing the BH T-4 and Jonny's BH QS.

--
Matthew
Brownwood, TX

OP
OP
mrhinman

mrhinman

Dec 29, 2008
Detector(s) used
BH Quicksilver
jonnyrebel00 said:
Is that a 120 you have there in your pic? Heck we coulda traded.
Actually that's not mine but looks just like it. I have a Garmin 60c and I love it. My Dad bought a 60cx and it's a bit nicer. Works great on the trail (I love hiking) and I do a bit of geocaching.

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter
I have been in the market for a 530, either model, for a trade or out right buy for a good price. priced a bit too steep for me at this point. maybe, they will come down on price when another model comes out.

Also, another nice looking unit is the Bushnell Onyx. i like that you can get a satelite image with a weather overlay on it.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
The GC1023 is sold new for $60 delivered from Amazon.com and many of us here now use it.

It has auto ground balance with tones and will slam coins down to about 8 inches deep. The recovery is as fast as the Fisher F75.

I buy machines costing many hundreds of dollars but I still use the little 1023 and find coins the big machines missed.

Badger

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Alot of times you see dealers with the old detectors that have been sitting around and I am sure you can find a deal out there. Yes it may be old technolagy, but at the time it was not and will still work. The money you find with it can in turn increase your budget for one later if you decide this is the hobby for you. good luck

JakefaePa

Feb 20, 2009
Pa
Detector(s) used
Bountyhunter
camperlee said:
you might try e-bay for a used detector I have seen some nice ones on there. Lee

Same here , if your careful you can get a good'un here for cheap.I got mine off ebay from a guy and it paid for itself in under 2 hours today..only 2nd time out with it.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Michigan Badger said:
The GC1023 is sold new for $60 delivered from Amazon.com and many of us here now use it.

It has auto ground balance with tones and will slam coins down to about 8 inches deep. The recovery is as fast as the Fisher F75.

I buy machines costing many hundreds of dollars but I still use the little 1023 and find coins the big machines missed.

Badger

Hey Badger, just looked this one (GC-1023) as b-day is fast approaching and it's now arond 120 bucks at Amazon. Cripes! Maybe if we start complainng the price will drop?

midmich

May 21, 2008
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer
Lowbatts said:
Michigan Badger said:

Badger

Hey Badger, just looked this one (GC-1023) as b-day is fast approaching and it's now arond 120 bucks at Amazon. Cripes! Maybe if we start complainng the price will drop?

I just purchased one for $66 shipped from Amazon. I hope my 10 yr old will be able to put it to good use when it warms up a little.
Not to take anything away from others here, but Badger's advice carries a lot of weight with me. I really enjoy reading his posts. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions