mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am wondering if I can remove my coil cover fom my DFX without damaging it. I know they go on hard so I don't want to damage the cover as I would like to put it back on. The last couple of times that I have been out I have notice dirt coming out around the edge of it. So I am thinking there must be more down inside of it. So I would like to remove it and clean it out then put it back on. Then should I use some kind of sealer or just clean it out every couple of years......Matt

Upvote 0

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
When removing the cover, which is not easy, think about not damaging the coil first and foremost. If and when you get the cover off, you will strongly consider not putting it back on.

OP
OP
mlayers

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason I put acover on this detector is back in he late 70's and early 80's I had a bounty hunter and I wore out my coil made it so thin there was holes in it. So I put a coil on my DFX when I got it 6 yrs ago to make sure this did not happen to this one. I figure it was cheaper to get a $10 cover then a $100 coil. So I mess up when I did not seal it so dirt would not get down inside.....Matt

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can help removing the coil cover by soaking it in warm water and using a kitchen knife to tap it around to loosen the cover and try not to pry it off as this can damage the cover. You are going to have to clean it out more often then every couple of years. Using a sealant around the edge isn't a garrenty that will keep the magnetic sand out either as then it is a real pain to remove.

If the coil is out of warrenty it is best to coat the bare coil with marine epoxy to stop any abrasions. Proplem solved forever.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread