Can I use my metal detector to hunt for a meteorite that fell in Bankhead NF?

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Contact the Park officials and ask them

Oops .. guess I hit the post key before I finished typing! Anyhow, what I meant to say, was contact the Park officials and ask them if metal detectors are allowed within park boundries.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detecting in National Parks is a big NoNo....They can confiscate your detector and fine you. It is against law to even have one in a National Park, but if you tell them on entering your on vacation and traveling and have one and it is dismantled most will allow you to enter but DO NOT take it out to use...!

Last edited:

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Well if you wanted to attract unwanted attention, you can metal detect all you want, but digging is a nono. They could still slap you with something for even having it.. intent or something like that. Best bet is to not have one with you, or if you do, have it dismantled.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you pull it out knowing its illegal in National Parks you deserve to lose it.

When I was in Yellowstone I told them I had one, they told me keep it dismantled and no battery in, if they caught me using it they would confiscate it and ticket me.

Old man walking.

Aug 25, 2012
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bankhead is a national park located in North Alabama. I do not plan to dig just use my detector if possible.... Does anyone know the laws?

I live in TN and frequent the Cherokee National Forest. Their rule states that metal detecting is only legal on beaches and they list the beaches by name. I don't remember anything about confiscating your detector, but I'd say they can if they want to.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a NP, rules different in National forests and National recreation areas, some allow and some don't, don't confuse the two, it could be very costly.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just glue a super magnet on the end of a stick and walk around swinging that. Pretty sure there isn't "no magnets" rule.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread