Can Slaw nuances on Nox 600

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been digging more can slaw on the Nox. I will get a 24-30 vdi and dig only to find can slaw.

Usually the VDI is jumpy but not anymore than a deep coin. I dug a penny (1966) at 6-8" last night that was reading as high as 29 and jumpy.

I think in time I will know better before but for now I'm digging it all. May have to add some to my test garden?

I know all machines are fooled by this I'm just looking for the changes in VDI or tone to tell the difference. Changing freq did help on a couple times.

I've been so busy I really haven't had time to hunt for hours at a time yet. Plus the weather has been hit or miss :(

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are you using for settings?

Park 1/2 or field 1/2? Recovery, sensitivity, iron bias and frequency?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
E

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slaw or aluminum audio will sound more “hollow” than a coin. It will take some time, but once you've mastered the audio nuances and moved away from reliance on VDI and pitch alone, you will have mastered the machine. See my discussion in this thread: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/equinox/575347-equinox-pa-farm-fun-additional-info.html

Just read your thread and this is exactly what I was talking about. Like any new machine it's just going to take some more hours but I'm already getting a feel like you described when there is something good in the ground.

Thanks!

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's like today... I went out to a tiny park that has done Very well for me over the past 5 years. (i can almost guarantee it was virgin when i started detecting it) - Brought my nox 800 out for the... 10th time, maybe have 40hours on it so far, hit it with a super low recovery (3 or 4) and a lower Iron Bias (2 or 3) and just swept really slow and listened for anything that stood out. No jump, or if it was jumpy get all angles and pinpoint for size. It took me 5 minutes before i found a missed target from my CTX (Ran this park with the 17" monster All the time). It wasn't even a great signal but it was high, repeating, no VDI, quiet so was deep or tiny and i just had to see. I was running really hot too, around 24 sensitivity (Field 2) and started digging my plug. 15" later............ Out of the very bottom, before i was going to give up, i see the green of a 1919 Japanese Bronze 1 Sen. I never would have thought it couldnt see Jack that deep, but it did. It's going to take a while to realky dial in the machine per location but it's been just a gem to use so far. It does love aluminum though. I have been avoiding the low tones currently and focusing on high conductors. I bet i have passed a few gold rings but i honestly would be standing in a 5x5m area for a whole 4hr hunt....

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20180417_171433.jpg 20180417_162727.jpg

20180418_164550.png

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's like today... I went out to a tiny park that has done Very well for me over the past 5 years. (i can almost guarantee it was virgin when i started detecting it) - Brought my nox 800 out for the... 10th time, maybe have 40hours on it so far, hit it with a super low recovery (3 or 4) and a lower Iron Bias (2 or 3) and just swept really slow and listened for anything that stood out. No jump, or if it was jumpy get all angles and pinpoint for size. It took me 5 minutes before i found a missed target from my CTX (Ran this park with the 17" monster All the time). It wasn't even a great signal but it was high, repeating, no VDI, quiet so was deep or tiny and i just had to see. I was running really hot too, around 24 sensitivity (Field 2) and started digging my plug. 15" later............ Out of the very bottom, before i was going to give up, i see the green of a 1919 Japanese Bronze 1 Sen. I never would have thought it couldnt see Jack that deep, but it did. It's going to take a while to realky dial in the machine per location but it's been just a gem to use so far. It does love aluminum though. I have been avoiding the low tones currently and focusing on high conductors. I bet i have passed a few gold rings but i honestly would be standing in a 5x5m area for a whole 4hr hunt....

Hey, who can argue with success.

As long as the machine was running quiet in your estimation then that is great. I will say this, however, be cautious about overdriving the machine by cranking sensitivity up too high and lowering recovery speed too low. I noted you had sense up to 24 and recovery down to 3. Both of those actions you would intuitively think tend to increase depth capability, and they do, but they both also tend to increase the noise floor. The key is increasing gain only as much as you have too and recovery speed only as slow as you need to, while keeping the machine as quiet as possible to find the signal-to-noise sweet spot for the particular site and situation. Sounds like you did just that based on your description, and again who can argue with success, but those settings are pretty aggressive since they are further away from the defaults than I am usually comfortable with and could have easily pushed you over the edge (noise wise) under different circumstances. After nearly a hundred hours on this machine, I am coming to the realization that the default settings are pretty good and you should be cautious about deviating more than a few clicks away from the defaults. In any event, great save of a cool find. Congrats.

Last edited:

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only can slaw I have experienced have been deep cans over 8" but I get suspicious when I get such a strong signal and the depth meter is pegged. Most often it will ring up at 28-30 and anything 32 is most likely trash. I have also had slaw with a target in the hole but the slaw was masked by the target but hit the slaw 1st while digging the target and sometimes if you don't pinpoint properly the slaw can be just inches away from the target and when you dig you miss the target and dig the slaw. I use park 1 and park 2 with no GB and rarely need to noise cancel most often if the detector chatters I lower the sensitivity

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hit the beach today with my 600 to learn more tones and find goodness. I set it to Beach 1. 22 sensitivity. 5 tone. I can say with certainty that 28-31 is a clad quarter. 26-28 clad dimes. Clad pennies 20-24. My dreaded 13 (nickel?) usually junk. But 2 nickels today(?) 14-15-16 usually junk. (gold?) I dropped my gold wedding ring in the sand and 16 was the only number every time. Rusty beer caps ruled the day. 15-18. And old iron nails bang out a deceptive 30-31-32. Huh? Did I miss the goods? a 39 +/- has been aluminum cans and juice drinks. Loud tone, no prize. :BangHead:

My one super loud signal turned out to be a fried Blackberry cell phone about 10" down. I was sure it was something good. Not. Black toast. But I did manage 2 quarters, 5 dimes, 2 nickels (I'd love to disc 13-15 but that would a bad move) and three pennies today.

Overall, about 8 hours in so far since I got it....92+ to go....I did notice some shaft wobble, albeit slight, but I'm over thinking almost everything lately. Leaving for an 8 day vacation on Friday. Can't bring it with me unfortunately. I think we both need a break considering all of the hype and mega reviews!

IMG_2576.jpg IMG_2575.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2577.JPG
    IMG_2577.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 76
Last edited:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hit the beach today with my 600 to learn more tones and find goodness. I set it to Beach 1. 22 sensitivity. 5 tone. I can say with certainty that 28-31 is a clad quarter. 26-28 clad dimes. Clad pennies 20-24. My dreaded 13 (nickel?) usually junk. But 2 nickels today(?) 14-15-16 usually junk. (gold?) I dropped my gold wedding ring in the sand and 16 was the only number every time. Rusty beer caps ruled the day. 15-18. And old iron nails bang out a deceptive 30-31-32. Huh? Did I miss the goods? a 39 +/- has been aluminum cans and juice drinks. Loud tone, no prize. :BangHead:

My one super loud signal turned out to be a fried Blackberry cell phone about 10" down. I was sure it was something good. Not. Black toast. But I did manage 2 quarters, 5 dimes, 2 nickels (I'd love to disc 13-15 but that would a bad move) and three pennies today.

Overall, about 8 hours in so far since I got it....92+ to go....I did notice some shaft wobble, albeit slight, but I'm over thinking almost everything lately. Leaving for an 8 day vacation on Friday. Can't bring it with me unfortunately. I think we both need a break considering all of the hype and mega reviews!

View attachment 1579715 View attachment 1579716

A blackberry!?!?!? lol

How long has THAT been there!? 15 years?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread