Can somebody ID this big coin?

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

I just found this on land dating back to 1700’s. I’m really psyched about this because I’ve never found any coin older than a wheat penny before.

What on earth is this? Is it a good find?! I can’t see a date on it and I’m afraid to wash it any more than I did already.

Thanks for the help!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525563817.542108.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525563828.723418.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 12

crabstang44

Mar 10, 2016
eastern nc
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Makro racer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i really dont see a reason to grade it, its a very nice coin but its worn a nd will be graded with corrosion, i would finger rub it for awhile to try and get some more detail, then wipe a tiny bit of olive oil on it or i like to wax my coppers with car carnuba wax, it preserves them and usually brings out some more detail, after the wax dries take clean wash cloth and rub the wax off, it will loook good

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i really dont see a reason to grade it, its a very nice coin but its worn a nd will be graded with corrosion, i would finger rub it for awhile to try and get some more detail, then wipe a tiny bit of olive oil on it or i like to wax my coppers with car carnuba wax, it preserves them and usually brings out some more detail, after the wax dries take clean wash cloth and rub the wax off, it will loook good

Thanks for the advice! I will give it a shot. The reason I considered grading and professionally cleaning it was because I googled this coin and it appears to be a rare find (I know nothing about this other than what I’m reading). Only made for a few years and a piece of American history. They are valuable according to eBay and one sold for over $100,000.

The coin is so cool that I just want it keep it to display, unless it really is valuable like I’m reading. Looks like they get a decent selling price on eBay. Again, I don’t want to sell, but am just curious on what I found and of course it’s value. Never found an old coin before, so it’s extra exciting!

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a really great find, but as far as value I would say $20 to $30 in this condition. If it was the rarer variety which I am now just about sure it is not it could be a couple hundred.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
It is a really great find, but as far as value I would say $20 to $30 in this condition. If it was the rarer variety which I am now just about sure it is not it could be a couple hundred.

Agreed.

Awesome find, love those state coppers. Congrats on your new oldest coin!

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone for your time and advice!

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey, does this help to see the horses ears? Used a tiny rub of oil on it.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525648165.749855.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525648148.147013.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525648148.147013.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 57

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is what I needed! Definitely a 67-v.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is what I needed! Definitely a 67-v.

Thanks! Really appreciate your help on this. I decided to leave the coin as-is. May do a minor cleaning just to reveal the date, but I like it with some dirt and the patina is beautiful.

Thanks again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions