Can somebody ID this big coin?

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

I just found this on land dating back to 1700’s. I’m really psyched about this because I’ve never found any coin older than a wheat penny before.

What on earth is this? Is it a good find?! I can’t see a date on it and I’m afraid to wash it any more than I did already.

Thanks for the help!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525563817.542108.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525563828.723418.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 12

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New Jersey Copper. Congrats.

ewtaylor

Mar 20, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only details I see looks to be a large shield on one side. Possibly foreign or a token. Copper coins take a beating in the ground. maybe you can do a pencil rubbing on paper to bring out more details.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find....sorry Can’t help with the ID.

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Toothpick it on both sides. That could bring out more detail. Hold toothpick flat against the coin and rub.

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Google search 'copper coin with shield' and you might find your coin. 1780's possibly. Screenshot_20180505-202259.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everybody! It’s all piecing together. It definitely has a “1” and a “7”. I just don’t want to mess it up! This is the coolest thing I’ve ever found. Apparently only made during a few years!

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any more help you all can offer me, please feel free to respond! Greatly appreciated.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like a NJ Copper coin, nice work! :occasion14:

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like hogge says, its a New Jersey Copper, but with so many varieties, its hard to nail down, with the un-cleaned condition it is in,
however, if the coin was cleaned, the Obverse side will id it...!
Very Cool Find :thumbsup:

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like hogge says, its a New Jersey Copper, but with so many varieties, its hard to nail down, with the un-cleaned condition it is in,
however, if the coin was cleaned, the Obverse side will id it...!
Very Cool Find :thumbsup:

Thanks! Is there a place to professionally clean the coin? Or should I just send it out to that place I mentioned that grades them without cleaning it?

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! Is this coin worthy of sending to PCGS for grading? Can I get it professionally cleaned?
Yes, it is! The Reverse is in great shape, what I can see, and depending on a tentative i.d., after cleaning and grade, you decide - as it could be quite valuable!

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it is! The Reverse is in great shape, what I can see, and depending on a tentative i.d., after cleaning and grade, you decide - as it could be quite valuable!

Thanks so much! I want to send it to them, just so that I don’t mess anything up! I’m going to do so this week. Wish there was one thing sticking out that I can see to positively ID, but it’s hidden.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is a 1788, either 66-v or 67-v. I can't see the detail I need to positively say which. The position of the horse's ears in relation to the letter C would decide it. The 67-v is common, the 66-v is a better variety.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is a 1788, either 66-v or 67-v. I can't see the detail I need to positively say which. The position of the horse's ears in relation to the letter C would decide it. The 67-v is common, the 66-v is a better variety.

Thanks so much! If it were the 66v, would you suggest I send it out for cleaning and grading? If it’s rare and valuable, I’d like to do that. With no intentions of selling. The excitement of finding this bird way beyond money. But I am just curious.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much! If it were the 66v, would you suggest I send it out for cleaning and grading? If it’s rare and valuable, I’d like to do that. With no intentions of selling. The excitement of finding this bird way beyond money. But I am just curious.
I am probably not the one to ask about getting it graded, I'm just not a big fan of the grading companies. Most colonial collectors prefer their coins raw. If there is any way to see the detail around the horse's ears we can probably identify. Sometimes making a rubbing with a piece of nice smooth aluminum foil will reveal details that are hard to see on the coin itself.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525605323.211295.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525605354.868914.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525605551.926377.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525605672.800803.jpg

Cleaned up a little and enhanced

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am definitely leaning toward 67-v although without being able to see the ears I can't say for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread