Can someone establish date and information on this cob?

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Not the best of shape. I believe the salvor I obtained it from referred to it as a "scrub," having been exposed to severe ocean currents and abrasion. He said it is a one reale, however, I thought it almost large enough to pass for a wore down two reale. Information please... thank you.

shipwreck 1586-1589-1.jpg shipwreck jup-1.jpg

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If it weighs more than 3.44 grams, it's not a 1R. If more than 6.88 grams, it's not a 2R.
Don.......
Edit: It was minted in Potosi. Dated 'pillars and waves' coins from Potosi were minted between 1652 and 1773. The date of your cob is 'buried' between the base of the pillars--I can't make it out.

dagfoto

Oct 9, 2009
the I P H 6 , across the top dates it to the first year of the transition from Shield designs to Pillars .. 1652,
the 5 is visible in the lower center, an 8 is above that (8 Reales) .. in 1653 they did'nt use the upper notations.
condition looks like possible Maravillas , or Jupiter shipwrecks

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
the I P H 6 , across the top dates it to the first year of the transition from Shield designs to Pillars .. 1652,
the 5 is visible in the lower center, an 8 is above that (8 Reales) .. in 1653 they did'nt use the upper notations.
condition looks like possible Maravillas , or Jupiter shipwrecks

Dagfoto nailed it. The only thing I'll add is that the assayer is Antonio de Ergueta. In summary, 1652 transitional 8R minted in Potosi.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I knew the I-PH-6 stood for the first two years of the mintage 16XX and the PH stood for Philip IV, but I was unaware that designation only occurred in the first year of the transition 1652; I continue to learn; thanks.
Don..

OP
OP
Southern_Digger

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Or the "Capitana" off Ecuador (1654) which initially carried the Maravillas and possible the Jupiter coins.
Don.....

First, thank you everyone for nailing it down. I believe it is from a wreck off Equador, or thereabouts. Could the Capitana have another name? or perhaps, there is yet another wreck--the Consolacion?

OP
OP
Southern_Digger

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The formal name for the 'Capitana' is: Jesús María de la Limpia Concepción
Don.......

Thank You Don... Later after posting, I found a certificate that got seperated from the coin and it mentions something about being found on the wreck of the Consolacion (sp?) and something about the Island of the Dead. Does this sound familiar and legit?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Thank You Don... Later after posting, I found a certificate that got seperated from the coin and it mentions something about being found on the wreck of the Consolacion (sp?) and something about the Island of the Dead. Does this sound familiar and legit?

Although it is a possibility that your cob is from the Consolacion, it is more likely from the Capitana. It would be extremely rare to find transitional cobs on the Consolacion. Out of the hundreds of Consolacion cobs that I've handled, the earliest has been 1659. Most are about 1680. In my personal collection, I have a 1659. I also have a dozen that from 1680.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
dagfoto,
I may have misunderstood your previous post, but the same '1 P H 6' designation is also found on those coins dated 1653.
For example: Daniel Frank Sedwick, LLC
Don........

Don, I don't think you misunderstood the post. The 1 PH 6 designation is predominantly found on specimens from 52, but as mentioned in your link, there are only a handful known to have the same markings on a 53. Studying the transitional cobs is a almost an endeavor on it's own. Noting the transitionals, you will find patterns carried over for subsequent years being noted as minor transitionals. I just traded my services today for a 1653 Jupiter wreck 8R. It has unique dot styling around the 8 in the Pillar tic-tac-toe. Unfortunately, the corrosion from it's years at sea have caused a loss in detail where the 1 PH 6 designation is on 52 pieces. I'll have to wait until I get set up my scope as I believe I see the remnants of the P in PH on mine.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Diver__Down,
You're right.
Hardly a chance that a nearly 30-year old 8 Rs would be found on a galleon (the Consolacion). More likely, if the coin is verified to date either 1652 or 1653, it would have come off the Capitana which was lost in 1654.
Don....

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find
wav.gif
wav.gif
Congratulation!
wav.gif
wav.gif
coin of Athocha

OP
OP
Southern_Digger

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Dug out my scale and checked -- 18 G.--maybe a 4 reale... I am sending you a PM...

It is marked an 8 reale. It is possible the loss is attributed to corrosion. It wouldn't be in the mortal interest of Antonio de Ergueta to be responsible for producing light 8 reales. With the recent Potosi mint scandal and the death of the assayers at the time, Antonio wouldn't be caught dead (pun intended) skimping the King.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Can't be a 'four' since 18g would be more than half the weight of an '8' (at 27+g); it's an '8'. At 18g, it can only be as Diver Down wrote and sea damage/corrosion is quite apparent to account for the weight loss.
Don.........

OP
OP
Southern_Digger

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Not the best of shape. I believe the salvor I obtained it from referred to it as a "scrub," having been exposed to severe ocean currents and abrasion. He said it is a one reale, however, I thought it almost large enough to pass for a wore down two reale. Information please... thank you.

View attachment 657844 View attachment 657845

I just went to the source who catalogued these cobs for Robcar SA. When they received cobs to catalog, they were only i.d.'d as cobs from the Isle de la Muerta wreck. The cataloguer indicated that included cobs dating back to 1652 and B assayer coins (not post-dating 1610). The cataloguer could not say from what wreck altho the cert. states it being from the Consolacion. My question, hearing that the Capitana wreck is not too far apart, is--did the Capitana also sink at the same Isle de la Muerta..? Also, I noticed many more Consolacion cobs listed on sale on the interenet--being described as '8''s, but some weighing lesst tahn 15 grams. I susupect if they are from Consolacion, some could be greatly reduced in weight due to the fire. Mine appears in a few places to have been melted, or softened and distorted. And last, after learning some assayers were caught producing underweight specie, could these be some of those illegal underweight strikes, in respects, could be considered as 1600's counterfeits, although historic nonetheless...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions