Can someone give me a quick rundown on the F70 menu

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Hey MB, new to the F70 ,yself, but burning my third set of batts already. First 60 quarters I dug, 57 were steel bottlecaps. Whole lot easier for me to tell them apart now but that's part of the learning process and you need to go through it to get better. Have you stood around in the yard for a couple hours yet to determine the pinpointing sweet spot and how to find it? Another must do. The F70 has very good PP IMO.

Playing with settings while learning to pinpoint improves your understanding of those functions also.

Let's look at functions:
Disc- options range from AT on up through the top of the numeric scale available.
AT equals Autotune, or all metal while swinging the coil. (motion required) This is the deepest mode of operation but you will hear targets in this mode that cannot be id'd by the machine, air test will help you determine your limits for using this mode but may not reflect actual field usage.

From 0 on up it starts ignoring (audibly) certain metallic responses. Use a small rusty nail and a larger, bent nail to see the difference in scaling and response on your rig. Of course also use other objects, gold, coins, silver, etc...

Lay the targets out on clean ground and swing over them, starting at 0 and as you get used to their sounds then adjust the DISC upward until you notice the change in response over the targets. While target id numbers may still display, audible responses are reduced or cancelled altogether.

SPEED: The two processing modes for returned signal information. You'll probably stick with DE for the most part, until you are in otherwise clean ground, little trash and fairly sertain old targets are deep. Then the SL mode can be used for an extra measure of processing signal intelligence.

SENS: The primary, raw power settng, so to speak. It determines how well the actual signal is processed by the machine. Run it as high as you can before it starts signalling intermittent target responses where your pinpoint finds no target, then you back it down to where that stops.

THRESH: A pre-amp gain to the returned signal that will also determine how often you end up hitting those tiny bits of foil and iron that read like a good target 4 or more inches deep but are actually near or on the surface. Keep it relatively low to avoid digging the small trash unless your aim is cleaning the parks and playgrounds of all trash. While a noble and honorable pursuit, it limits your real coin hunting time dramatically.

# of TONES: Again play with this over your test targets to see which ones give you false readings intermittently and you'll save some digging time. I like 3H, helps with some relic-oriented targets like buttons and pins.

NOTCH: Lets you decide to wipe out certain target categories altogether. I keep mine at 1 because I like to hear all associated target indications when hunting.

Using the two program feature helps in that you set program 1 to serious target id and depth and set program 2 to AT and cranked up. When in rural and older sites use AT to find a deep target, then switch to program 1 to see if the target id's at all. If it does not, you decide on the depth and indication you will chase knowing you have a deep target available.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread