Can someone please discribe what this may have been used for?

littlekan

May 13, 2010
Parkerburg, WV
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• p_00101.jpg
    p_00101.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 494
  • p_00102.jpg
    p_00102.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 491
Upvote 0

DisplacedBuckeye

May 8, 2010
I sure wish I knew. . . . but that thing sure is cool! These guys on here know something they'll figure it out .Nice piece

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
That's a great find , it's called a cone. They are a rare artifact. Nobody really knows there purpose, some believe they are ceremonial pieces.

Here's a page of a few for reference

http://www.relicshack.com/List.aspx?TypeId=328

Btw, welcome aboard, it's good to see another WV hunter here, I hunt the southeast corner of the state. You're in a great area to find artifacts, lot of paleo has been found around Parkersburg.

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
somebody told me that they could have been effigy's of some type of indian structure
did anybody ever hear anything like that before?
lars

dblski

Mar 18, 2009
I was at an arrowhead show, and someone said they were used to cover the eyes of the dead. That was the first time I had heard that. Who knows, but they sure are neat.
Jake

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Larson, you probably saw me post that before on here. I have speculated for years that they may have small effigies of the mounds they created. I have also heard that they may have put over the eyes of the dead during a ceremony, yet I've never heard of any being found in a grave like that.

That is one very nice looking Cone. Very rare artifacts. I have only found 10 in my 45 years of hunting.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi,thanks or the post.i have a riend.sorry sound like scoby doo.well he found about 10 of them togethor.well 3 or 4 oot circle.made me wonder if they were playing a game? jamey

OP
OP
littlekan

littlekan

May 13, 2010
Parkerburg, WV
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for all the great info. It can sometimes always be a big ? I'm new all to this, but have been quickly findin myself very caught up in the wandering...and wondering...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread