Can Someone Please Help me ID and date this find!?

How Bourgeois

Tenderfoot
Feb 9, 2020
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone! Newbie treasure hunter here. I found this (iron?) piece in our backyard this week. My new friend Chuckin' Dirt thinks it is part of a decorative garden fence or garden edging and I would be he's right. Just wanted to throw it out here to see if anyone has additional insight or possibly time frame? I tried searching for similar looking fencing online and just couldn't find anything that had roughly the same pattern. Some background:

It was found in my backyard. House was built in the 1860's in Michigan. Found along our current wooden fence, under ground cover. The front of the piece is dimension, but the back side is flat. There used to be a small barn in the backyard that held a little village grocery store at the turn of the century.

And that's the scoop! Thanks in advanced and excited to be here!

Lauren

83984841_2783070885071976_991019830461071360_o.jpg

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Not much to go on....Could be a piece of a coal shaker grate.
Are you finding any black ashes , or dirty glass looking clinkers?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

How Bourgeois

Tenderfoot
Feb 9, 2020
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Relevantchair and nkellam22 , thanks!

Relevant- interesting. No, you know what, it was in an oddly very clean spot, no ashes, nothing. Just along the fence. Interestingly, but I bet unrelated, on the other side of the fence was a house and blacksmith many many years ago I hear.

Upvote 0

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really needs to be cleaned more but to me it looks like a sprinkler base
th

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

How Bourgeois

Tenderfoot
Feb 9, 2020
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Antiquarian! Thank you for the greetings, and from one of my very most favorite cities none-the-less. I am outside of Detroit and visit Toronto often. Just love it. Thank you for your input. I am going to clean it up a bit and take better photos with a measuring tape for scale.Nice to meet you and thanks!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

How Bourgeois

Tenderfoot
Feb 9, 2020
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Ticndig! Thanks for the comment. You know, that is a good guess. It really feels like something that was made to be outdoors and strong. I wondered if it was something like that. I am going to try to clean it up and repost soon with better photos and measurements. Thank you!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

How Bourgeois

Tenderfoot
Feb 9, 2020
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone, thank you, thank you for all of your help. I've taken your advice and now have some new, better photos with a measuring tape and quarter for scale, plus some close-up. I meant to weigh it, but the piece is very heavy for its size and thick. A bit of the surface flaked off and it looks a bit orange-brown inside? Also, as mentioned, the front is dimensional, but the backside is flat. How this helps and thank you again, I am very much enjoying this, even if it just ends up being a newer piece of something common!   Opps, it posted the same pic a few times. Sorry. You get the point. Also, the sideways picture wasn't supposed to be sideways, but it is apron 5" long.

Back.jpg Back.jpg

Back.jpg inside.jpg
scale.jpg
closeup.jpg
Measure.jpg

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Antiquarian! Thank you for the greetings, and from one of my very most favorite cities none-the-less. I am outside of Detroit and visit Toronto often. Just love it. Thank you for your input. I am going to clean it up a bit and take better photos with a measuring tape for scale.Nice to meet you and thanks!

With the wedged shape it reminds me of a piece of grate off a stove.

Now that we have some better pics, it also reminds me of the grill from the inside of an old bar-b-que or from an outside fire pit. :icon_scratch:

Lauren, Toronto is a beautiful city as I was born and grew up there. We moved about 70kms (40 miles) east of the city to a much more 'affordable town' in the early 1990s.
I've been through your beautiful state on a number of occasions, as I get down to Windsor a couple of times a year on business.

Look forward to seeing more of your finds posted here when the snow melts. :thumbsup:
Dave

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

How Bourgeois

Tenderfoot
Feb 9, 2020
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Dave!

Thank you, thank you! I do appreciate your suggestions. Who knows, maybe there we're grilling a lot out here! :laughing7: That would be cool! I shall continue to search, like you said, when this snow melts!

Ah, how nice to move to a more affordable town, (I've see Toronto prices!!!Whoa!).....but be close enough to easily enjoy the city. Not sure if you are near Hamilton, but we visited Ancaster for a night on a business trip. I really like all of Ontario! Anyway, I digress. Thank you so much again Dave!! :)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread