ripper6xray

Greenie
Jan 22, 2013
Parsons,WV
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT E series , Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently found a 1911 liberty V Nickel ...i have tried to research the listings on it but have had a little difficulty identifying the Nickel. My nickel is deep dark copper color it isnt tarnished like a silver coin it appears to be copper color but all of the ones i have found pics of on the net are silver in color. Can someone please help me identify or tell me what i have found and give me some feed back on on it... is it a rare nickel ...... thank you for all the help reguarding this nickel

Attachments

• ResizedImage951358899398211.jpg
    ResizedImage951358899398211.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 241
  • resized # 2 heads.jpg
    resized # 2 heads.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 246

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check it with a magnet, I know a few people that have run into steel counterfeit nickels. I have also seen counterfeit coins that had copper added to silver to make them, though those were silver dollar coins. The Redbook says its .750 copper and .250 nickel composition. In Good condition 2.00. (2008 RedBook)

OP
OP
R

ripper6xray

Greenie
Jan 22, 2013
Parsons,WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks fellas , yea it came from a old abandond cabin back out in the middle of nowhere ...its prob been there since 1911... the magnet doesnt stick to it... just curious of its rareity and value it has no sign of silver color at all on it could it be a rare copper V nickel...im sure toning and corrosion has played a tole in the looks of it.... Thanks for the help

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks typical of a nickel that has been buried for a long time in ground that is corrosive. may have been in a fire as well. No extra value.

OP
OP
R

ripper6xray

Greenie
Jan 22, 2013
Parsons,WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks typical of a nickel that has been buried for a long time in ground that is corrosive. may have been in a fire as well. No extra value.

yea it was found in the pathway leading to the water well..... not sure bout fire i didnt find any other metals within atleast 15 feet or so.... the area where i found this was near a river near a old railroad thats not in use anymore maybe the old coal deposits could be the cause of currosion...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread