can someone suggest a good MD for around $150

Stacylee926

Dec 29, 2006
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Discovery 1100
If I am not mistaken - the ACE 150 does not have the pinpointer mode that the ACE250 has.
It is worth every penny.

I got a MD for Christmas - never told my hubby what I wanted (I had no idea anyway) and he got me the Discovery 1100. I think it was around $100. After 1 month I knew I needed a better machine because I loved the hobby. I bought the ACE250 in Feb which is a fantastic machine for the price. So basically, if you KNOW you love the hobby then try to save a little more and go for the new ACE250. If you aren't sure, then you might want to try to borrow one from someone and see how you like it first.

However.... this hobby is VERY addicting!

checkmate

Jun 6, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace 100
Stacy he could go to walmarts and buy the Bounty Hunter Lone Star for 150.00 and it would do just as well as the ace 250.

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i bought my bounty hunter from beachaudio, good prices there but look around kellyco or tony has a wide selection and good prices also ;)

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
checkmate said:
The treasure ace 100 will do just as well as the ace 150 or 250.

Not in my experience. The old Ace series is 10 year old technology, clunkier, heavier, and not as pretty, and most importantly not near as deep. I had the Ace 300 and had lots of issues with it.

Scott (Upstate NY)

Mar 24, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's XLT, Classic III, Surf PI, Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing new for that price. A used White's Classic III would be a good bet. It has much of the depth capability of the XLT, MXT, and DFX without all the bells and whistles(programs and ID technology) Look on eBay. It will pay for itself in no time plus enough to invest in an upgrade.

Good luck

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
I bought a new Ace 250 on Ebay for less than $200...

dollar for dollar I'd say save a few more dollars and get that. Better than the Ace 150 and you will definately like it. You also might be able to get a used 250 for your price range. Good luck and hope you enjoy your detector, no matter what it is!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread