Can someone validate and date this spanish cob?

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
I have not checked the books to verify and establish a mint source and date for this cob in my possession. I got it from a friend who dove for salvors on Florida's east coast. It appears to be a cut-down eight reale or a 4-reale. I had a gold mount custom made for the cob and I believe the jeweler went a bit overboard. The chain is a long 18kt modern chain I found while shallow water hunting along the coast. Now, the coin is a bit blackened with silver sulfide, although the camera does not reveal it. Should I clean coin with chemical electrolysis (foil, ect.) or just leave it alone.
>
>
>
>
treasure-1a.jpg treasure-1b.jpg

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice cob,I'd try a silver dipping solution,and silver cleaning cloth.Good luck.:icon_thumleft:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
It was minted in Mexico (Shield side -oM mintmark; Cross side - balls on the end of the cross). And it has a partial date of xx14, making it a 1714. The date is from the time when Jose Eustaquio de Leon held office of assayer. The assayer mark would be J below the oM mintmark. It isn't visible from what I can tell. Nice piece.

Do not clean it. It looks beautiful as it is. If you want to improve it's appearance, then I would recommend scrapping the mount. At that time you can weigh it, and it will discern the denomination.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
DIVERDOWN, thank you for taking time to answer Southern_Digger. Very informative post. Your response is greatly appreciated, even if nobody else says so. keep up the good work. Tom

OP
OP
Southern_Digger

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
DIVERDOWN, thank you for taking time to answer Southern_Digger. Very informative post. Your response is greatly appreciated, even if nobody else says so. keep up the good work. Tom

Dang! Did I just get busted by the BB manners police?

Of course the above response was informative. But, then again, I already knew most of that and have it filed away with the cerificate of sale. I was just hoping to get a broader response and confirm what I already know. However, in courtesy, thank you Diver_Down for taking the time to respond and confirming the coin history--especially the assayer. That is Dynamite. But then again, if Diver_Down initials are G.Z., and I think they are... then I thanked him back when I bought the coin from him. Hope you all have a great salvage season with many days of cooperating weather and seas.

BeachComber7

May 12, 2012
Treasure Coast-Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer and Tesoro deLeon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful coin and mount Southern. Diverdown gave you the good info, and to compare coin to others i would try the
Mel Fisher web site or the Daniel Sedwick web site.

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I think cleaning it in any manner would be a travesty - it looks authentically worn with a beautiful old patina. If you cleaned it to be silver and shiny it would lose all it's character imho.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The fineness is .931. If the coin weighs over 13.54 grams, it's an 8 reales; at 13.54 g. or slightly under, it's a 4 reales. I agree with your 'overboard' comment on the mount; the four mount points attrack my attention away from the coin.
Don.......

Last edited:

Mole Man

Jun 24, 2012
Longview, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i

White's XLT

Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool what you did with the coin.

OP
OP
Southern_Digger

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry, Southern. My initials aren't G.Z. My name is Ken. M4W (Tom), we share a mutual acquaintance - Apolla.

Sorry about not reponding immediately. Have been working and away from my computer. Last three days for example--slept 4 1/2 hrs in day then worked 8 hr. night shift. Next day, slept only three hours and puttered around house doing chores-worked another 8 hr. night shift. Then yesterday slept only 3 1/2 hrs. and met with a/c repairman twice at my daughters; then worked 8hr night shift last night. Diver_down--now there are two coincidences. I bought this cob from GZ who lives or did live in St. Augustine. The other coincidence--my name may also may be Ken... I kind of thought you were him. For those of you who ask, I will not clean the coin. Thank You for all your help and opinions.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread