Can the CW experts tell me if a skirmish or campsite was in this area?

R

R.Whit

Hello, Can some of you tell me if there was a skirmish, battle or campsite in this area? I know it is close to Ft. Smith Arkansas but could use some expert advice if anything happened here.
I was going to post a map but was afraid I'd screw something up so I'll try and describe the area to you.
Location: Sebastion County, Arkansas. If you look at a map the place is in an area encircled and surrounded by four towns. They are Hartford, Midland, Huntington, and Mansfield. The Highway's that are near the towns are 96, 252, and 378. The closest intersection to the property is Frazier Road and James Fork Road.
I know a map would have made things much easier and I apologize. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts, opinion or knowledge if you know of anything happening here or if you suspect it may or may not be a good site for CW relics.
Thank you very much for your time and thoughts!

Upvote 0

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
Please post a map. There was a very small skirmish and a rebel campsite close to the area you are talking about but without seeing a map I could not tell you.

Fort Smith surrendered quickly after the Battle of Prairie Grove.

ericwt

OP
OP
R

R.Whit

Hi guys and thanks for the info and replies! I hope I did this correctly and it works. I attached three maps. The first to show the intersection in detail near the property and the other two for you to get a better picture of the area in whole.
You will see on the first map just below "Prairie Creek" and where "west Creek" is labeled, there is a road going to the right. This Road is "Frazier Rd". Follow this road and the first road you see going down from Frazier is "James Fork Road". James Fork Rd looks like an "L" with a leg, going down and connecting it into HWY96. The property in question is within 1\8th to 1\4 mile from the Frazier Rd and James Fork Rd intersection. I hope I have described this OK and if not I will give more info if you tell me what you need. I see Mansfield is a little ways away for where the skirmish was but do you feel the property would be close enough for relics or possible a camp site?
Any tips, advice on how to hunt this if you feel a good chance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Attachments

• Hartford map.gif
    Hartford map.gif
    23.7 KB · Views: 411
  • Mansfield map.gif
    Mansfield map.gif
    29.2 KB · Views: 402
  • Hartfirld whole map.gif
    Hartfirld whole map.gif
    33 KB · Views: 398

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
I can not find any quick information for you as I have many books. Try going to

http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/moa/browse.monographs/waro.html

This has the Full "War of the Rebellion Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies" on it.

Play around with the search.

I know there were a few small skirmishes in that area. Remember some of the town names might have changed.

When you find the general area look for water. They had to camp by water.

Good luck.

ericwt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread