can you actually make any money extracting gold from sand or other substances?

Turbo8776

Oct 4, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, absolutely. However, certain conditions MUST apply:
1) it must be a gold-bearing area
2) there MUST be gold in the sand/gravel
3) it MUST be in an area where placer mining is allowed, and
4) you have to know how to separate the gold from the sands/gravels

There's still a lot of gold out there - don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise. Usually though, there will not be enough quantity to make a living from, so keep your plans/goals realistic. There are still many folks that "do" make their living from gold mining. But for most, it's a hobby.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are talking about the sand bags video, not all sand in bags would come from gold bearing regions so find out where the sand is bagged.A river close by me has a sand and rock operation on it and just upstream a few miles guys are always pulling gold so the sand that comes from there does contain gold.Very fine flour gold but it is there.The way to pull enough gold would be in how much can you run.If you are wanting to get rich doing it you will need semi-trucks delivering bags around the clock, if you just want to do it as a hobby it would be a good time on the weekend.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
The problem with having truck loads delivered is, how do you get rid of the excess sand??

There's a MUCH greater chance of finding gold in the gravels in gold-bearing areas. Gold is heavy - it will drop out much quicker than other minerals/metals. If there is nothing but sand, then there's a good chance that any gold would have already dropped out. However, that is not a hard and fast rule.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Historically, there was actually persons who used mercury on certain beach sands of the CA coast (where the river's straight from the mountains emptied into the ocean) to extract gold. But I can't imagine it being worthwhile from a profitability/net-weight perspective.

Because, think of it: If a hobbyist can extract enough from hand-held tools to be profitable, the logically speaking, someone(s) would already have thought of this and extracted it on an industrial scale already. Hence the amount of gold appearing in routine sand, is probably not worth the energy and time to extract.

As KCM says: Just go to gold bearing regions, and work there.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know about "most", but in MANY placer areas, even if an area is effectively worked out, just give a little time and Mother Nature will begin to replenish the gold within the gravels. Maybe it comes from previously unworked hard rock outcrops that have eroded away, maybe from lost gold from current hard rock mines, or maybe from traveling further downstream during flood events. Fact is, any place where gold has been found before in appreciable quantities is the VERY BEST chance that a newbie has at finding gold. Trying to find a virgin, untapped deposit somewhere (whether placer or hard rock) is difficult for experienced prospectors - nearly impossible for newbies. ...Note the word "nearly". That means that there are historically documented exceptions - but not many.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I a total newbie. I been looking around at a lot of prospecting things online and its facinating and it had me curious if anyone can actually make a little bit of money doing this? is anyone willing to perhaps have a 1 to 1 message talk with me on this if they are not busy at all and tell me how these things work. Thanks.
You have a considerable amount of studying ahead of you, and that will be #1 on your to-do list. Asking questions, reading books, searching gold forums, etc., is going to take a while. Once you're starting to get a good idea of the overall picture, then check out another very good resource called MyLandMatters.org This is an exceptional resource for current and future prospectors.

Feel free to ask any specific questions you may have. I only have general knowledge, but there are many here that have been mining for many years. Lots of good people and great info here!!

Deltanimal

Oct 2, 2016
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy works as a geologist for the mines in Nevada. He says they extract gold that is microscopic using chemicals, but the slurry is very toxic. But the processes they use are super effective. So yes, there may be gold, but you probably don't have the ability to extract it to a cost effective point.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Turbo,,
Here in New York State, you must turn in any gold you dig up here in NYS. Yep,, it belongs to the State!!!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hey Turbo,,
Here in New York State, you must turn in any gold you dig up here in NYS. Yep,, it belongs to the State!!!

Really? And how much of your found-gold have you dutifully turned over to these NY state officials ? ;)

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Turbo,,

<Beaver> Gee, doesn't sound like the America we used to know and love, does it Wally?

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
<Beaver> Gee, doesn't sound like the America we used to know and love, does it Wally?

Well now.... I guess I'd be a criminal REAL QUICK if I found a gold hot spot in NYS. Like Steve Miller said.... "Take the money and run"....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread