Vancouver,British Columbia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry, it will just flatten out, even a speck will flatten out. :icon_sunny:

Gold is the most malleable and ductile of all metals, a single gram can be beaten into a sheet of 1 square meter, or an ounce into 300 square feet. Gold leaf can be beaten thin enough to become translucent. The transmitted light appears greenish blue, because gold strongly reflects yellow and red. Such semi-transparent sheets also strongly reflect infrared light, making them useful as infrared (radiant heat) shields in visors of heat-resistant suits, and in sun-visors for spacesuits.

GG~

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Daryl Friesen said:
So a really tiny piece of gold could crush so flat you could hardley see it??

Daryl

A stamp mill just doesn't crush that small, mostly just frees the gold from the ore by crushing the rock around it.
The rock crumbles freeing the gold. The gold doesn't crumble.

Gold can be flattened so flat that it becomes translucent but not invisible. and that won't happen anyway in an ore crusher.

GG~

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DF,
No, gold does not "crush" easily. Actually, crushing the host rock will flatten the gold, making the gold easier to see. Flatter gold, more surface area, easier to see. Probably the worse that would happen is trapping some of the host rock in the folded gold leaf. TTC

jimmygoat

Dec 1, 2009
Northern Cal.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D-5 inch dredge
Hi Guys, I'm not sure if you can over crush with a stamp mill, but you can over crush with a ball mill. When using a trommel you want to classify with screens or you will overgrind and make fines out of gold that was not so fine. Jimmygoat

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
If you know you have gold in the quartz and can see it you might want to use a mortar and pestle.The better quartz pieces you save and keep/sell as species and the smaller stuff will either come out as rough little pieces ,flat stuff and fines.When panning out after crushing if you've very good rock and are into a pocket or ore shoot it's best to pan into another pan.There will be super fine gold that will float and the tiny rough stuff will walk out of your pan(having legs).Even with riffled pans this will occur.Another thing is if your rock is rich you must check every tiny piece of quartz as you'll keep finding the yellow on the tiniest speck of rock.Been there,done that for over 30 years.Save your cons as when you look with a loupe at the black sand you'll see the minute gold.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dave wiseman said:
If you know you have gold in the quartz and can see it you might want to use a mortar and pestle.The better quartz pieces you save and keep/sell as species and the smaller stuff will either come out as rough little pieces ,flat stuff and fines.When panning out after crushing if you've very good rock and are into a pocket or ore shoot it's best to pan into another pan.There will be super fine gold that will float and the tiny rough stuff will walk out of your pan(having legs).Even with riffled pans this will occur.Another thing is if your rock is rich you must check every tiny piece of quartz as you'll keep finding the yellow on the tiniest speck of rock.Been there,done that for over 30 years.Save your cons as when you look with a loupe at the black sand you'll see the minute gold.

So true Davo!!! :notworthy:

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010
TAKODA said:
Short answer is yes you can crush to much . Just depends on what your rock is giving , and what you want to try and get out of it . Cavaties in some good rock can have nice size pieces (nuggets ) of gold in them . Not to mention little stringers in every shape and odd look you can think of .
Also , the gold can and will 'mash' apart or seperate . Take a little 3 to 5 grain nugget you found , put it on a hard smooth steel surface (anvil etc.) and start tapping it out with a little ball peen hammer and you will see what I mean . Purity is relevant to stress tolerance . My areas have some the purest native gold on the planet .

I agree with Dave , in that if your on some good rock it is worthwhile to take it down slow and keep a sharp eye along the way . As for myself , I look at stuff I take down to about an inch if I have reason to do so . Yes ....... takes a lot of time ...... gets boring ...... not likely to get rich , and you may find that your eyes can actually feel pain . But it can be well worth the trouble as long as you have a day job and ain't in to big a hurry .

Takoda, Goody, and Terry, thank you all for the continued info about rock crushing prospecting etc.
In particular I am very interested in your idea about breaking big rocks down slow to check for stringers and nugget speciman samples. I have a nice collection of quzrtz minca garnet gold bearing bedrock chunks that, for the most part I know contain fine gold( micro flakes), however, the other day I found a little quartz chip with amalgamized mercury covering a yellowish :icon_sunny: metal on the corner.. Boy was I shocked, my first chip. It's unfortunate the rock sat in the river long enough for the natural or unnatural mercury to grab at the gold.. now I have to find a scientist to clean it off.
About the bedrock, I have amazing samples and I really need to get some pictures up! M best one is a 50 pound chunk of awesome bedrock showing beutiful garnets, awesome quartz sammiches, some some of hydrothermal vein of other minerals flowing in the middle, and plenty of mica and pyrites.. It pretty much sums up the gold bearing rock. I found it near a gas station on a little stream in and around Dahlonega.... so that's the gold belt, so it's like guaranteed to contain gold right?

I hope we get snowed in this winter I have a ton of work to do :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread