Can you detect at the Putnam County Fairgrounds in Ottawa, Ohio?

Crossbonzx

Aug 21, 2015
Kalamazoo, MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I just arrived in Findlay Ohio for the weekend and had not planned on hunting but may have some time on my way home to Michigan. I came through Ottawa, Ohio on my way here and passed the Putnam Co. fairgrounds. At some fairgrounds in Michigan they allow us to detect. Can anyone tell me if you can detect at Putnam Co. Fairgrounds in Ottawa, OH? Thanks much! :hello:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Welcome to Treasure Net !!
Have you asked them?
Phone:(419) 523-4628
Don....

Are the fairgrounds public access? Or locked up when not -in-use ? We had a particular fairgrounds near us, that was, like many, locked up when not in use. However a local md'r here was a member of the VFW. And they held their monthly meetings in one of the community rooms located at the fairgrounds. So he wised up, and .... knowing the gates opened an hour before the meeting each month (to allow the early arrivers to set out chairs, start brewing the coffee, etc...), he'd detect for that one hour, out yonder on the hither portions . No one ever bothered him, and he found a lot of silver coins that way. He didn't ask anyone (as his presence there was not un-authorized, dis-allowed, nor was it "trespassing", nor was there any express/specific "no detecting" rule on that location, etc....

If the OP feels he MUST call someone there, then he should phrase it like this: Where can someone avail themselves of the rules of use of the fairgrounds. Like is there something at the turn-style entrances listing the rules? Ie.: no alcahol, no dogs allowed, etc.. And then if it's city property (and if you're of the skittish worrisome sort), you can go a step further and see if your city codes have any municipal wide "no detecting" (which I HIGHLY doubt).

Because the danger of just calling up some random pencil pusher at a fairgrounds phone #, is you might just get a "no", simply because someone envisions geeks-with-shovels. Whereas, fairgrounds get detected all the time. Same psychology as those who have gone to city halls around the USA and found themselves "no's". Only to find out later that the parks in that city get detected routinely, and no one ever had a problem before.

Last edited:

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Treasure Net !!
Have you asked them?
Phone:(419) 523-4628
Don....

Tom is completed accurate - You really don't want to "ask" someone, most likely they have no clue and no time to look up the said rules and will give you a generic "No". I hunt a certain Lake here in Minnesota and I was told by the park police that it is illegal to scuba dive in this lake. I looked up the Minneapolis park rules and regs. and there is no mention of any scuba diving regs. I even E-Mailed the office and got an e-mail back saying that they looked into it and couldn't find the actual regulations, but...and get this, "but at this point we do not allow scuba diving".
I have been scuba diving for 2 years since all that went down and no one has said a word to me. BTW - It's my honey hole and have pulled countless silver and gold. :occasion14:

My motto - Don't "GIVE" them a chance to say no. Make them prove to you that you are breaking regulations, 99% of the time - THEY CAN'T............

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... "but at this point we do not allow scuba diving".
I have been scuba diving for 2 years since all that went down and no one has said a word to me. BTW - It's my honey hole and have pulled countless silver and gold.............

Great post ring-finder. And oh-so-typical.

Whomever said that to you on-the-phone is probably 1 in 100,000,000 that cares less. So is it your job to "get that one person to change their mind" ? Or as your case shows, no one *really* cares less? I say that actual reality is the best barometer of whether or not to do something. If no one cares, then presto: no one cares.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correct Tom - I understand people want to do the right thing while Metal Detecting; with that said - There are way to many power hungry people trying to make up rules for everyone else.

So, as Tom put it "I say that actual reality is the best barometer of whether or not to do something. If no one cares, then presto: no one cares".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread