Can you do BIN on Jarts

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
I was reading War-digs-it post and he found the set of Jarts, had no idea they get good $$. I have seen these before at sales and have one set and found out you cant list them because the have been recalled. They get a lot of bids before being pulled. Can't you just list BIN for a quick sale or is that frowned upon, or not because ebay will never know ? Maybe they do know because none show up on completed listings. I was thinking listing a BIN $125 and it would go quick.

MT_Joe

Feb 22, 2013
Ferndale, Montana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
You may get away with, but eBay has been known to cancel a transaction after the fact, and could result in a suspension, or anything else under they sun they can unfairly dream up.

CPSC Votes Final Ban On Lawn Darts

Ebay Recalled items policy

Policy overview

We strongly support the governmental agencies, including the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) in their efforts to protect consumers against potentially hazardous products. Sellers aren't allowed to list items that are prohibited from being sold because of a recall. If an item can be legally sold but is subject to a recall, sellers must include appropriate information about the recall within the listing. All items sold to US buyers must follow all applicable state and federal laws, including the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act.

Make sure your listing follows these guidelines. If it doesn't, it may be removed, and you may be subject to a range of other actions, including limits of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.

mountainman18.jpg

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I had to Google jarts. I had never heard that term. I always called them lawn darts and had totally forgotten they were banned.

sent from a potato...

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold one set last night BIN style for $110, they sold quick and I marked as shipped as fast as I could. I have one more set I had to go back to the sale and pick up a piece I left behind by accident.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Good luck with that...

I sold a Rosetta Stone Spanish set on ebay with a BIN. Ebay pulled the listing, and automatically canceled the transaction, refunded the seller's money, but kept the fees.

You risk shipping the jarts to the buyer and losing your money too. Just wait a few days before shipping to make sure that ebay doesn't cancel the transaction.

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clovis, sorry to hear about the Rosetta Stone. I sold one last year and there were others selling like crazy. I guess the company came down on the bay for the intellectual property.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Clovis, sorry to hear about the Rosetta Stone. I sold one last year and there were others selling like crazy. I guess the company came down on the bay for the intellectual property.

I am happy that you got one sold.

I should say that with anything that I post on this forum, YMMV. What works for me, might not work for anyone else.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've sold some stovetop percolators that weren't recalled buy it now. 3 day. Yes they still frequently get pulled. Some people post them under weird titles like "make coffee without electricity"

I guess you could post it completely ignorant as an auction. "Oversized model darts". or list all the parts separately. I saw someone sold the replacement tips. I would worry more that the buyer would intentionally try to hurt themselves and sue me as an individual. I saw a set at an auction a few weeks ago and nobody would bid $5 on them.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've sold some stovetop percolators that weren't recalled buy it now. 3 day. Yes they still frequently get pulled. Some people post them under weird titles like "make coffee without electricity"

I guess you could post it completely ignorant as an auction. "Oversized model darts". or list all the parts separately. I saw someone sold the replacement tips. I would worry more that the buyer would intentionally try to hurt themselves and sue me as an individual. I saw a set at an auction a few weeks ago and nobody would bid $5 on them.

I thought the same thing about getting sued...I just don't trust people, so I do my best to limit exposure to litigation.

I had some air bags, perfectly good but used. I wouldn't list as I felt it was to risky of an item...just not worth the risk.

sent from a potato...

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
I hesitate to say this but.....

Did you know that accounts can get permanently shut down, forever,no recourse ever, for policy violations. Something to keep in mind, especially if you have a competitor or someone that does not like you.

There are a lot listed out there though. Doesn't mean it is a good thing to do for several reasons.

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
If not recalled, why are some percolators pulled?

Because ebay could give a #$%^ about accuracy. I have non recalled percolators collecting dust. I tried to list one as non recalled but if someone reports you ebay just auto pulls the auction. I think etsy allows them though if you really want to sell them.

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I would worry more that the buyer would intentionally try to hurt themselves and sue me as an individual.

Anything is possible I suppose but I think this scenario is HIGHLY unlikely. Generally speaking, people sue hoping for a big payday so they target those (such as eBay) with deep pockets. I'm sure this is why eBay won't allow things like this to be listed. Frankly, I don't blame them.

I just bought a complete set of Jarts in the original box. I'm thinking of listing them on eBay without the metal tips.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up a set but decided to sell them on an online classifieds site rather than ebay. What was interesting is that I looked up on facebook the first person who messaged me and it turns out he was a defense attorney. The right side of the law, but still, he is a lawyer, a hired gun. So I never responded. The second person, I also checked out on facebook, and he was a sports enthusiast sales guy. And he got the Jarts.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paleo_joe, do you mind sharing what site you used to sell them and how much you got for them? I'm trying to decide how I am going to sell the ones I bought last weekend.

I googled "Jarts for sale" and ended up with Yagaz or Yakaz or something like that. I think craigslist might also work since it can be searched nationally. I got $75 but mine were a dirty set in a pretty beat up box.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread