Can you hear the differnece?

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
90% has a lower pitch "denser" sounding ping when dropped as opposed to a 40% having a high pitched frequency when dropped.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
90% has a lower pitch "denser" sounding ping when dropped as opposed to a 40% having a high pitched frequency when dropped.

+1 Yup, exactly, 40% are very tingy sounding, 90 will ring the same but a little denser sound. Not enough dif that you'd ever miss one using the sound test. HH, Maverick.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When "testing" a 40% against a 90% one right after the other, I can hear the difference. But, in a blind test where only 1 coin is dropped, I could tell you whether or not it was silver, but not if it was 40% or 90%.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
I have only been CRHn for two years or less. I still can't hear the difference between 40% and 90%. Can any of you? I do get alot of anxiety when the teller counts out loosies and I can hear them clink from 50 feet away.

HH

Yes I can.

40% sounds different than 90% and even sterling coins have a different tone. I do have a bit of experience with foreign silver though.

OP
OP
palidin20603

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I see there is a 1 gram difference in weight and 2.44 times the silver in a 90%er. I should be able to hear the difference. I can notice the weight though

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
blindfolded, i can tell between a 90% and 40%. it's hard to explain and is something that one aquires over time.

OP
OP
palidin20603

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
blindfolded, i can tell between a 90% and 40%. it's hard to explain and is something that one aquires over time.
When you can hear the differnce, it it time for you to leave. - Master Kan

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I would also say that it depends on the surface you are dropping it on too. I have a glass top kitchen table I CRH on, it makes a pretty distinctive sound. HH, Maverick.

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only been CRHn for two years or less. I still can't hear the difference between 40% and 90%. Can any of you? I do get alot of anxiety when the teller counts out loosies and I can hear them clink from 50 feet away.

HH

:dontknow:
To me, the 90% has a deeper sound than the 40%. Even though I would like my finds to be 90% in the long run I'm not disappointed if the find is a 40%. After all silver is silver & a 40% silver is better than clad. I wouldn't be that upset if I couldn't tell the difference between a 40% & 90%. The important thing is to be able to tell between a silver coin or a clad coin.

HH
Gary

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no problem hearing the difference.. 90%s have a much deeper tone...

Guns Blazing

Jan 23, 2013
Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread has me playing with a handful of 40%ers and a handful of 90%ers haha!
Im passing the tests haha

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The real question is sound checking with halves... My woman always busts my balls over it.. She insists that I am missing some 40%s, regardless of how many times she has seen me pull them out just by sound checking.. It isn't often, but I truly feel that I have the "clink" down packed.. I have caught tons of 40%s that I would have missed just by rim checking..

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The real question is sound checking with halves... My woman always busts my balls over it.. She insists that I am missing some 40%s, regardless of how many times she has seen me pull them out just by sound checking.. It isn't often, but I truly feel that I have the "clink" down packed.. I have caught tons of 40%s that I would have missed just by rim checking..

I would bet anyone that I could check 100 boxes in pitch blackness and never miss a silver. The sound never lies.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the sound never lies, and with so many people hunting halves, there probrably won't be a silver half dollar mixed in the 100 boxes :tongue3:
I bet I could do the same.
I would bet anyone that I could check 100 boxes in pitch blackness and never miss a silver. The sound never lies.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only rim check, but I process with a coin counter that rejects silver. I haven't missed one yet....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread