1.9 MB · Views: 128

JasonG

Nov 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
GPZ, GPX, CoRe, GB2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting stuff, definitely get it positively ID'ed, might be worth mining!

Start with a hardness (scratch) test. In a couple places. Some looks like chert or agate and some opal, hard to tell from the fracture.

Upvote 0

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What state are you from. What's the local geology of your area?

Upvote 0

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Labradorite is a rough guess. Awesome though!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

anfreema

Tenderfoot
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not from the states, I'm in Australia, the property is within an old shield volcano, so there is a lot of basalt around and volcanic soil. But I have never seen these sort of rocks before.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

anfreema

Tenderfoot
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I will, it looks like it should polish up but I have no experience, some of the clear parts scratch with a bit of effort, but there are some definite Iron coloured material that doesn't seem to budge.

Ill look up the Mohs scale and how to do it properly.

Thanks for the advice

Upvote 0

JasonG

Nov 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
GPZ, GPX, CoRe, GB2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah man, good luck. I think you definitely have something worth investigating further! :icon_thumright: I have my guesses but I think you owe it to yourself to get it professionally ID'ed and keep a tight lid on until then.

Upvote 0

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello: Welcome aboard to TNET!

Your rocks look like they may have some calcedony and quartz mix. It almost looks like an opaline mixture also.

Upvote 0

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not from the states, I'm in Australia, the property is within an old shield volcano, so there is a lot of basalt around and volcanic soil. But I have never seen these sort of rocks before.

Your best bet is to find someone local that can help ID. If there are smaller pieces made up of the same material take those to a geologist or gemologist in the area.
Worst case scenario, you have a really cool coffee table:)

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
It looks like you have a conglomerate with a number of different minerals. A Mohs scale would probably give a
number of different results. I might ask for a volunteer to crush and pan the results or at least break one up
and see what results.
I also would keep looking deeper. You have a lot of mineral quality.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's an interesting piece for sure. My first hunch says chalcedony. Get a pic of the materials dry, as well, they look wet to me which hides their natural luster.

Upvote 0

omurcelik

Mar 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as far as i see this is hydrothermal vein material includin quartz chalcedony some opal and 3. pictures pink material contains mangenese rhodonite or rhodocrosite vs vs vs... if i am right this maybe silver or gold ore good luck..

Upvote 0

Moesia

Oct 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
You have a combination of quartz chalcedony and opal. It is hydrothermal in origin so the opal in it is unlikely to be of precious variety although it is not unheard off. Use a pocket knife to scratch the rock to differentiate compact silica from loose rock. Opals are fairly large and could be worth something it all depends on luster, color, transparency and absence of inclusions. Your rocks look good, but they are drenched in water and this is a photo, both of which add to the true luster of a specimen. You should be able to find the fault which feed the silica in the rock. It should be near by and stick out a little. Good luck.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

anfreema

Tenderfoot
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brilliant, thank you, I will scratch around and see what I can find and keep you updated.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

anfreema

Tenderfoot
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow ok, well maybe i'll have a proper dig around and see what turns up!!

Upvote 0

Moesia

Oct 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Do not try to dig around, you will just get tired without achieving much. Just take a walk around see what you can find. Take a hammer with you and brake some rocks. Opals have a glassy like surface and usually have a shell like fracture in them. You will probably find a lot of chalcedony. It has a more murky appearance, is not as smooth and sometimes appears as a combination of colors. Follow streams as they accumulate rocks of all kind. If you find opals in them, expect that you are near of the source because opals can not survive long transport on account of their brittleness.

Do not try do dig, just take a hike. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread