Can you imagine?

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you imagine digging in the dirt and having this little gem pop up? Talking about letting out a hoot...This little plummet is definitely my smallest..It definitely was not used as a weight.Not sure what it's made of but it is clay like...and I've never seen another one like it.mjm 20200101_120537.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No this was on a late archaic site..

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! I still haven't quite figured out what kinds of rocks/lithic were used for tools. But I'm on the coast, so I'd guess it's a whole different kettle of fish, so to speak...

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m fairly certain that was a counterweight the Indian maidens used when drying their pantyhose on a clothesline

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Does look like pottery-clay. It’s interesting to think that someone took the time to shape-out a tiny plummet, when anything on the end of a string with a little weight would give you a decent tripod center-Mark.
The pointed end suggests it’s not a fishing line weight. It resembles a modern-day plum-bob. But, for what purpose?

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree it wasnt used as a weight...but that point or nub on the bottom is also on larger plummets that I have found..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread