can you still find morgan/peace $s at banks?

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: can you still find morgan/peace $'s at banks?

There have been several on the forum here over the past year who have been lucky enough to find rolls of them I believe.

tw656

Jan 13, 2007

Wouldnt that be sweet! :D Ive been asking and the only large ones so far are IKES. Even if some came to the bank I think most would leave in a tellers or managers pocket. I have gotten a number of franklins and walkers from tellers trays. My guess is its possible.

low xtreme

Oct 5, 2006
georgia

you might get lucky if you buy like a $500 bag of ikes or something like that. last year i found 2 1921-s morgans at work that someone used to buy cigarettes with. it happens, i think a sealed bag is your best bet tho.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I got one Peace dollar several years ago at the bank I get my boxes from. That was the only time in my years of CRH.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am lucky just to get Ike $$. Only been able to find 3 so far.

I had been asking for LARGE dollars and the girls always pick up the saq or anthony $$ and say do you mean these.

Lately when I go into a bank I carry a kennedy and ike coin in my pocket and hold them up to show and ask if they have any of these.

bill dilly

Feb 7, 2006

I was lucky enough to get 100 Morgans at a bank where my cousin is head teller. A customer at the bank brought in a large quantity and my cousin called me to see if I wanted some of them. Yes, the customer was informed that she could get more at a dealer. Anyway, I was very lucky to get these and the answer to your question is: no, it's not likely that you will get Morgan or Peace dollars at a bank. This was a fluke. Another board member has asked me to post a scan of the Morgans. I will do that as soon as I get some time. I put all of them into airtight holders and I will have to remove them to scan (not easy). Tellers at almost any bank will know an old silver dollar when they see it. I have talked to tellers that recognize silver coins, old notes and pretty much anything out of the ordinary and they hang onto whatever they find. I consider myself lucky when I find ANY silver halves. You will have more luck finding old pennies and nickels. I personally don't mess with dimes since re-rolling is very labor intensive and the yield that you are likely to get is minimal at best.
Good luck with your roll hunting...

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I bought a 1922 Peace dollar last week from a teller. She said she saw it in her coin tray and noticed the date so she bought it herself from the bank. During the course of our conversation she told me this and sold it to me. I paid $10 for it. It is my first one so I am happy.

Nick in NEPA

Dec 28, 2006
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lejeuene said:
I bought a 1922 Peace dollar last week from a teller. She said she saw it in her coin tray and noticed the date so she bought it herself from the bank. During the course of our conversation she told me this and sold it to me. I paid $10 for it. It is my first one so I am happy.
Cool.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions