can you submerge AT PRO without headphones

tincansam

Jun 7, 2011
TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my waterproof headphones are getting fixed , i have the cap that fits over the headphone plug on the at pro. is that ok if the

pro is going to be underwater a little at a time if i hunt it semi submerged so i can read the vdi numbers ? if not a good idea

please let me know thinking about going to a gulf beach sunday. ive had it in the water since i bought it just havent

submerged it yet. i have the regular headphones i can put on and just wont get those wet , if just the plastic cap isnt a good

idea. can water get into the unit threw the headphone plug without the cap or headphones on ? ive had my at pro now a

couple weeks gettin good with it just havent found any gold or silver yet but ive filled my pockets everytime at the beach with

pulltabs and pop tops and nickels,sometimes i like to just custom set it to look for gold in std mode @ the beach. im really

happy with this detector thanks for all advice from everyone on saltwater hunting. the only trouble i seem to be having to learn

is gettin it set right in the hard wet sand, in the water or on the dry i seem to be doing ok. any advice is always much

apreciated

thanks cracker

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Yes you can.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
John-Edmonton said:
Yes you can.

I'd recommend using the small cap that came with the detector to screw over the outlet if you do so. That way if you lay the detector down and it happens to roll over, you don't get dirt & debris in the outlet.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dwight S said:
John-Edmonton said:
Yes you can.

I'd recommend using the small cap that came with the detector to screw over the outlet if you do so. That way if you lay the detector down and it happens to roll over, you don't get dirt & debris in the outlet.

Yep!

coincutter

Greenie
Jul 12, 2010
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Detector(s) used
ATPRO ( MXT - Bty Htr)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: With a little Insurance can you submerge AT PRO without headphones

If you look at that little cap compared to the headphone jack there is quite a difference.
I am just speculating but I wouldn't try going wet without first putting some type of gasket under that cap, a couple of turns of pvc pipe thread tape, along with some silicone grease to keep the water out.

Even the battery box o-ring will leak without a fresh grease job if you take it in and out a couple of times. More so if you get it dusty dirty or sandy.
It's the way of o-rings.

s

OP
OP
T

tincansam

Jun 7, 2011
TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: With a little Insurance can you submerge AT PRO without headphones

coincutter said:
If you look at that little cap compared to the headphone jack there is quite a difference.
I am just speculating but I wouldn't try going wet without first putting some type of gasket under that cap, a couple of turns of pvc pipe thread tape, along with some silicone grease to keep the water out.

Even the battery box o-ring will leak without a fresh grease job if you take it in and out a couple of times. More so if you get it dusty dirty or sandy.
It's the way of o-rings.

s

sounds like good advice on the o-rings i was looking otherday thinking i will apply some of that dielectric silicone i bought on the headphone and coil o-ring i always put it on the battery o-ring , i'll be carefull not to put too much as well cause of sand, i have problems with the coil and headphone plug taking on and off i may start a new thread for advice on that. thank you !!! HH cracker

kwkstar

Aug 2, 2009
Ossian. IN
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 30
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's the way of o-rings.

s

The cap has an o-ring in it already

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never greased my seals but I can tell you that it will leak. As it came from the factory and batteries installed I got caught in the rain and I made it to my truck and wiped it down and checked the battery compartment and I had water inside. My thoughts are that if Garrett says it is water proof then it should be and if it requires grease to keep it that way then they should supply a tube in the box. Be very careful with that detector around water.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never greased my seals but I can tell you that it will leak. As it came from the factory and batteries installed I got caught in the rain and I made it to my truck and wiped it down and checked the battery compartment and I had water inside. My thoughts are that if Garrett says it is water proof then it should be and if it requires grease to keep it that way then they should supply a tube in the box. Be very careful with that detector around water.

Check your o-ring to see if it has been pinched or slit or if the plastic it mates to is smooth. I have submerged mine in salt and fresh water with no water problems in battery box. Also have just used the plastic cap and haven't used grease on any of the seals.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dunk my at pro all the time in the river and never had any water in the battery compartment. You might want to call Garrett because that is not normal at all. Heck the other day I laid it in river with strong current and was completely under water. I don't worry about it. I didn't buy the waterproof headphones so I don't dunk my head under water but I wear the headphones in water. I know I'm taking a chance but it's a huge diff hearing targets without them. Good luck and call Garrett they will fix it.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have inspected both mating surfaces and I see no reason for a leak. Knowing that it leaks allows me to choose the days that I might take that detector on a hunt. More and more it seems that you must know a series of tips or tricks in order to get some of the Garrett products to work as designed. Be it greasing O rings or having to have a sack full of battery shim quarters to keep a Gpp running. Those defects should have been addressed during manufacturing, not after purchase.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just like on the internet you only hear the bad and not many report on the good. Most people don't have the problems you are putting in your status. If you are not happy with your stuff call Garrett and they will help you. I get that you are frustrated but if I had any of these problems I would be calling Garrett. They will make sure your happy unless you are impossible to please then it's another issue. I understand letting people know about problems and all detectors have some sort of issue that gets reported. Call Garrett before you ruin your detector.

CaballoDeOro

Jun 29, 2012
Southwest MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My AT Pro spends almost as much time under the water than out of it. Snorkeling in creeks, rivers, lakes. I frequently take it down to where the control box is four feet under the surface. It's spent over 100 hours underwater with both the headphones hooked up and without (I just screwed on the cover cap) and has never had any kind of leak. I haven't greased any seals since buying it.

If yours leaks, send it back to Garrett. They'll take care of it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread