devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My almost 68 year old back does good to swing the Minelab 11' and the 8' coil, so my answer would then be, No.:laughing7:

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Troy Shadow X5
Tesoro Vaquero
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My almost 68 year old back does good to swing the Minelab 11' and the 8' coil, so my answer would then be, No.:laughing7:
Get you a harness, I have started using a harness and bungee system along with a hip stick and you would not believe the difference it makes, I have a torn rotator cuff and have been having issues with my lower back on my right side, it was try a harness with a bungee system or give up this great hobby, it makes a huge difference especially when you add a hip stick into the mix, I use it with my Axiom with every coil as well as every detector I own, it literally takes all the weight of your detector out of the equation and makes it feel like you are swinging a feather around

I use Docs Ultra Swingy thingy which comes with what doc calls the Quipple, I had to build my own Hip Stick

The hip stick took about an hour to put together, I attached a photo so you would have an idea, the one in the photo was the first one I built and have since modified it, I used the first one to get an idea of how I wanted it to be then made all the adjustments on my finished version

The Hip Stick was originally invented here in the U.S by a gold hunter but their is none available in the U.S so I made my own

If interested in instructions on how to build the hip stick let me know and I will PM you the instructions very easy to build and it works in conjunction with a harness and bungee system

Attachments

• Hip Stick 1.jpeg
    Hip Stick 1.jpeg
    968.7 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
Minelab Matt

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold my Nox 800 and kept this as I prefer It (feel free to roast me) especially as It Is the best coin hunting machine I've ever used.

But, I did want to wait for the trashy beast mode V8x coil to come out In the UK.....but can't find one anywhere.

I also hunt a 900 acre permission here In the UK, but I've stuck to my guns that a big coil doesn't go any deeper.

Well, at least
that was the case when I put my standard Nox coil up against my Father's 15" big Nox coil....EVERYTHING he could pick up, so could I.

What's your opinions on this 18" coil in regard to depth In an almost trash free Farmer's 900 acre bit of land?

As for the "68-year-old back" dude - you're still a puppy!

My father Is 87 years old, and I swear to god, he can hunt for hours and hours with his 15" coil, long after i've gone back to the car, too tired to go on...lol

Matt

OP
OP
Minelab Matt

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get you a harness, I have started using a harness and bungee system along with a hip stick and you would not believe the difference it makes, I have a torn rotator cuff and have been having issues with my lower back on my right side, it was try a harness with a bungee system or give up this great hobby, it makes a huge difference especially when you add a hip stick into the mix, I use it with my Axiom with every coil as well as every detector I own, it literally takes all the weight of your detector out of the equation and makes it feel like you are swinging a feather around

I use Docs Ultra Swingy thingy which comes with what doc calls the Quipple, I had to build my own Hip Stick

The hip stick took about an hour to put together, I attached a photo so you would have an idea, the one in the photo was the first one I built and have since modified it, I used the first one to get an idea of how I wanted it to be then made all the adjustments on my finished version

The Hip Stick was originally invented here in the U.S by a gold hunter but their is none available in the U.S so I made my own

If interested in instructions on how to build the hip stick let me know and I will PM you the instructions very easy to build and it works in conjunction with a harness and bungee system
I would be VERY Interested mate, I've had 2 back surgeries my L5 S1...so It would be very kind of you, if its ok?

Never seen a device like that before - very interested!!!!!

thanks
Matt

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Troy Shadow X5
Tesoro Vaquero
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would be VERY Interested mate, I've had 2 back surgeries my L5 S1...so It would be very kind of you, if its ok?

thanks
Matt
I will PM you a link to a video of Johnathon Porter in Australia using a detecting harness, with a Bungee system and hip stick

I honestly when i first heard about the hip stick thought it was just a gimmick, but it actually works when used with a harness and bungee system

what the hip stick does is take the weight of the detector off your shoulders and upper body and places all the weight down on your hips, everything working together makes your detector to feel like it has no weight at all, I can literally swing my detector with one finger once everything is set up I also added a swing arm, it also makes you have better coil control

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Troy Shadow X5
Tesoro Vaquero
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

thanks
Matt
Sent you a PM

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
Minelab Matt

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks mate...will check PM now ;-)

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 (Stock Coil)
Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Minelab X-Terra Pro (Stock Coil)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As for the "68-year-old back" dude - you're still a puppy!

My father Is 87 years old, and I swear to god, he can hunt for hours and hours with his 15" coil, long after i've gone back to the car, too tired to go on...lol

Matt
Yep, I know a man who's going to be 84 in a couple weeks. The man is still out there traveling, working, and pretty much walking circles around others younger than him. His mind is sharp too.
I don't think we can understand how DIFFERENT our genes are than that generation. I'm 53 now, and there are many people I went to school with who are dead and gone. People younger dropping dead and bad off.
Our genes just aren't as strong. My great grandmother lived to be 102 yrs old, one of her daughters (my grandma) made it to early 80's, my dad made it to touch 71 yrs old... Yeah I'm a firm believer in a weakening gene pool.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread