Canadian Coins

MikeG

Nov 30, 2014
Up North
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Euro Ace 350, Makro Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. I am new to the forums and glad to be member. Lots of reading to do!

I have a question about Canadian coins and the way they register on my Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200. Penny, Nickle, Dime, Quarter all register
under Iron. My wife's gold ring registers under 5 cents/pull tab so that seems right. What's going on with the clad.

greaser

Oct 21, 2014
minnesota
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason is that most modern Canadian coinage is plated steel, so your discovery reading them as iron is correct. If you really want that glad you are going to have to dig everything.

greaser

Oct 21, 2014
minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ps welcome to the forums.

OP
OP
M

MikeG

Nov 30, 2014
Up North
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Euro Ace 350, Makro Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, I figured it might be something like that. I will be digging everything with joy but I just wanted to make sure there is nothing wrong
with the readings on my detector because it wasn't a top of the line unit. Thanks for the welcome and sorry for the noob question.

greaser

Oct 21, 2014
minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem Mike, I am a noob as well. Keep digging everything and you will be finding good stuff in no time.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmm.... I dug a Canadian quarter the other week that showed up under 25 cents on the Quick Draw Pro. It was a 1975 Elizabeth. I thought it was silver, but a Canadian buddy told me it wasn't. He also said that the silver on the Canadian quarter is actually a better grade than U.S. This thing had been buried a long time and came out as shiny as the day it was made.

greaser

Oct 21, 2014
minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The steel coins started in 2000 they had similar make up to U.S. coins before then except there silver and copper coins ran longer than the U.S.
This is all approximation for ease of explanation of course.

rockpup

Apr 2, 2013
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
RadioShack LandStar
Compass Relic Magnum 7Auto.
Compass Judge 2 Auto.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depends on the years for sure greaser-The older coinage made much better. Do a bunch of testing my bounty hunter really reads them as iron where as my gold bug pro hits them ok, really depends on age and how long there in the ground.

Get a real strong magnet- make a bar you can drag behind you. This works wonders at the beach and even at the park. New clad sticks to magnets real good.
You will like you many coins you easily find,plus clears all iron surface trash and some hot rocks. Now I do this when nugget hunting bedrock,if I don't keep losing my magnets!!!

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
There is a very efficient way to make Canadian coins ID in the NON ferrous range.

We are talking about modern coinage, aren't we? Clad coins, not those you expect to find 12"+ deep...

Well then, take a metal detector with a MANUAL ground balance, and balance it to SALT. (yes, even if you are in a park)

This will remove the iron signals from detection, leaving the other metals present in the alloys to respond as they should.

Here in Europe, on myXLT, 5 eurocents coin (seel core, thin copper layer), iDs in the iron range too, but once the GB is set to salt, it IDs +81. Solid.

Hope this helps.

HH

Grumpy.

beeping

Sep 28, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im in Canada too with older bounty hunter
it has a needle that swings on coin meter
it is far more accurate on Canadian coins
digital meters are less stable and jumpy

Top Member Reactions