Canadian Large Dollar and 1/2 Dollar Coins

JimVT36

Jan 19, 2014
Vermont
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm reaching out to Canadian Coin Hunters / Collectors.

I have come across a bunch of Canadian Dollar Coins (Not Looonie but Large Dollar Coins) and a number of Canadian 50 cent pieces. The last trip to my favorite Canadian bank, I was told that they would not take them for deposit ?? Can anyone comment if they can be spent in Canada or are they strictly for collections.. Thanks everyone for your comments in advance.

Jim
[email protected]
HYPoint Canadian Coin Exchange

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Jim,
While the PEI and Winnipeg (KM#s 82 and 88) are composed of nickel, I'm sure you are aware that many others are composed of between 50% and 80% silver; and you wouldn't be cashing them on for parity. And while US coins are always good, I am unaware of any Canadian law refusing to take the coins you referenced.
Don........

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does Canada have that "Pre Decimal" system as Aus/NZ??

OP
OP
JimVT36

JimVT36

Jan 19, 2014
Vermont
Primary Interest:
Other
Jim,
While the PEI and Winnipeg (KM#s 82 and 88) are composed of nickel, I'm sure you are aware that many others are composed of between 50% and 80% silver; and you wouldn't be cashing them on for parity. And while US coins are always good, I am unaware of any Canadian law refusing to take the coins you referenced.
Don........

Don,

According to the Coinflation site, The Canadian coins stopped using silver in 1967 for both the dollar and half. I was surprised that the bank didn't want them hence my post and question. I'm guessing I can spend them on the next trip north or at lease for tips at the local Montreal watering holes :-)

Thanks again for the advise and reviews..

Jim
[email protected]
HYPoint Canadian Coin Exchange

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Notwithstanding Canada's decision to discontinue minting general circulation coins containing silver does not mean the coin has been demonetized. From what you have said, it's hard for me to believe that a KNOWLEDGEABLE person at that bank would refuse to accept same-country modern currency.
Don.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread