Canal??

Green Frost

Oct 9, 2005
I found this canal by some watertanks in a field today, and was wondering if I would find anything around this area with a metal detector?? If so what kind of things would I be finding, iron relics? Will there be any coins?...Also does anyone know of any sites with old canal listings or anything that I could view/read of what was once there?(Located in southeastern Ohio)

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depends on the canal and the age. If it was a transportation canal (horse drawn barges) there's a good chance of relics and coins along it. Concentrate on the ferry spots (tolls) or cellar holes that may be inns or homesteads.

If it's a drainage or irrigation canal, much less hope.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
It know this sounds kind of obvious... but the only way to know if there is something to find... is to look.

Most experienced detectorists will tell you how important research is. But there is also something to be said for actually jumping in and looking. If you think there might be something good to find, then go look. What is the worst that will happen (assuming you have permission already)? you don't find anything?

Go look.

steve

B

BIG61AL

Kids can not resist the urge to throw money into any body of water. Even a isolated canel my have some thing of value in it.. Like it was said earlier you'll never know until you look.

OP
OP
G

Green Frost

Oct 9, 2005
Thanks for the replies,
I went down to the area for about 40 mins today, I found some iron stuff not sure what it is, some are just balls or metal, a rail spike, and some little sheet of metal...Im going to go down there again thursday. Im going to be taking some pictures so you guys could help me identify what type of canal it is? 8) Also will put pictures up of the stuff i've found so far on thursday

FinderFrank

Sep 28, 2006
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
EXPLORER SE
I've hit the Erie canal twice in southwest Ohio only to have found old iron.I will definitely try the area again.I know this canal was used for almost one hundred years. Let us know how your canal hunts go!!

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread