wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Salvor 6, you are correct that the shoals surrounding Cape Canaveral are a target rich environment for the underwater shipwreck hunter. Unfortunately, this aria is mostly off limits. Many a professional treasure hunter has attempted to get permission via a permit to search this location, and all have failed.
North of Cape Canaveral Air Force Station and the Kennedy Space Center is the National Sea Shore Park. Diving is permitted in this marine sanctuary. However be sure to leave the detector and any other treasure hunting equipment at home. The southern zone is primarily patrolled by quad runners on the beach, and the northern zone is patrolled by boats much faster than my 33 foot cabin cruiser.
Of course you have to wonder how good security is at the cape since they found a boat load of Chinese that had been shipwrecked, and camped out on the beach several hundred yards from the shuttle launch pad, and they had apparently been there for some length of time. It?s one of those things that make you go Hhhmmmmmm.

Good luck and happy hunting

Q

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
Speaking of...I was looking at a satellite map today, and saw what appeared to be part of a ship just a few yards north and to the right of the North Launch Pad area...But there was an alarming underwater disturbance going on at the same location whereas the sand was calm south of it. The disturbance was peculiar.

Hard to get good imaging of this coast at times, but once in a while I luck upon some good clear photography. Saves effort and time guys.

seagreen12

Oct 10, 2005
Sat beach Fl.
IT maiden:
I used to be involved in submarine cable dive operations in that general area can you ID the pad number? all those cables are AIP (abandoned in place) as far as I know. This could cause scouring on up and low current sides.
ATT has submarine cable charts available that closely show landing locations.
These cables went out and in along coast of florida down as far a Jon Dickenson SP then across to GBI back out stringing along all the tracking stations all the way to Antigua. Ahh those where the days!
Seagreen12

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread