ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I can't find anything either, I'll be on Cozumel diving and beach hunting in Aug. 18-22 and need to know myself. Anyone?

Thanks in advance, and if my newbiness is showing, give me a nudge in the right direction. I have nothing against research and hard work...but I'm obviously off track on this one :D

Jason

OP
OP
D

dalearch

Tenderfoot
Jul 16, 2006
Kansas City Area
Hi Jason,

I've done every kind of search I can think of. The only thing I found (when I Googled) was a post on this website that someone posted six years ago. They asked the same question, but there was no answer.

I think I'm going to contact some travel agencies and probe them. (that sounds kinky)

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Good idea, let me know what you find out. The only thing I've found was an older thread on a different forum about someone who brought some rings back that they found in Puerto Vallarta. They didn;t mention having any problems, but when talking about the Mexican Police, I'm gonna get the FACTS before I go beach combing down there :D

Jason

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good place to ask is at the hotel you are staying or thinking of staying. Hotel desk clerks can be very sharp and can tell you what you need to know or point you in the right direction. The information would be mostly for local areas and this means it should be more accurate and correct. Not my idea, saw it in an article I read on traveling with a metal detector.

Ed Donovan

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
I detected down there and never got bothered, but that was over 10 years ago. Rules change.
I don't think they are so worried about the beach, as long as your not out in the jungle trying to dig up some ancient treasure. Of course you wouldn't be able to take it anywhere near chicinitzu (sp?!?) or any other tourist ruins.

I've even been detecting in Belize with absolutely no problem, and that was last year. Funny story about that. This old man came up to me on this deserted beach (I'm nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs all by myself as it is, and this guy walks out of the jungle) and tells me he knows where a treasure is out in about 5 feet of water and if I came back later that night we could pull it out of the water and split it. Needless to say I did not go back, but I've always wondered if he wanted to rob me or actually knew where something was...

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received a response to my timeshare, Royal Resorts in Cancun...

Dear Bob,

Thank you for contacting us and for choosing Royal Resorts for your next vacations.

Regarding you question please let me give you the following information:

Metal detecting is allowed on the beach and there is not any restriction or limitations.

I hope this information will be useful for you.

We look forward to seeing you in Cancun soon!

Warm regards!

Vanessa Vivas

E-mail Administrator

RRP Customer Service

The Royal Resorts

Tel.( 52-998) 881 0100

Fax.(52-998) 848 8204

[email protected]

www.royalresorts.com

Exclusive. Private. Guarenteed.

;D..I'm packin'

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
CryptoDave,

You weren't by chance detecting on Ambergris Caye were you? Reason I ask is I was approached with a similar story about 2 years ago from a similar old man out of the jungle. I asked around, and it turns out his name was Paisano, and he used to be very wealthy...and the governer or mayor of Sand Pedro actually. Then he lost his mind (and his money) and became a jungle / beach bum. He recently passed away, so we'll never know.

Just curious if this was the same guy or not, I took a pic of him, so if this happened on Ambergris Caye, I'll post the pic and you can verify.

Jason

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
ScubaSeeker said:
CryptoDave,

You weren't by chance detecting on Ambergris Caye were you? Reason I ask is I was approached with a similar story about 2 years ago from a similar old man out of the jungle. I asked around, and it turns out his name was Paisano, and he used to be very wealthy...and the governer or mayor of Sand Pedro actually. Then he lost his mind (and his money) and became a jungle / beach bum. He recently passed away, so we'll never know.

Just curious if this was the same guy or not, I took a pic of him, so if this happened on Ambergris Caye, I'll post the pic and you can verify.

Jason

Jason,
That was where I was at. I was looking for some lost Mayan gold... LOL. Actually, I was hoping to catch some spanish gold that might have washed up on the shore, but no such luck.

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I went before I even got into MD'ing, but was finding odd things snorkeling in front of Crazy Canucks bar - I found spoons, shoes, sunglasses, a plate, and then part of what appeared to be a very old ship peice. I was hauling my loot onto the beach, and he came out and spoke to me, and told me there was some treasure not too far there. He didn't offer to meet me later (I wouldn't have showed either) he just pointed North, and said "just up the beach a ways, it's not very deep, but you'll have to dig for it". Then he kinda laughed and walked off mumbling something.

Here's the pic, it's be strange is it was the same guy, telling the same treasure tale.

Jason

Attachments

• paisano.jpg
    paisano.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 800

MikeOregon

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
White's V3
Regardless of whether you're doing something legal or not, where the Mexican police are involved, I would be very, very quick to comply with whatever request they might make. Once I had 9 high schoolers with me in Acapulco, and the police stopped our van and beat our driver to a bloody pulp in front of our eyes because of some perceived violation. When he returned to the van, he was bleeding from the ears. We thought they were gangsters or something, but he identified them as police officers, who, he said, did not like where he had parked.

I'll probably never know the truth about the incident, but regardless, I would quickly do whatever they said.

Best wishes for a great and successful hunt!

Mike in Oregon

klcman

Oct 17, 2010
cryptodave said:
ScubaSeeker said:
CryptoDave,

Jason

Jason,
That was where I was at. I was looking for some lost Mayan gold... LOL. Actually, I was hoping to catch some spanish gold that might have washed up on the shore, but no such luck.

What a liar.............you did NOT take that picture of Paisano. You stole it off another site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions