be careful in Mexico!

1KBlueTuber

Oct 19, 2014
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur blue tube 1000
Fisher cz-6a, 1265x,
Whites eagle IIsl
I went in July of 2015 with my Excalibur blue and large scoop. Put my 2 piece straight shaft and scoop in a canvas golf club travel bag along with water shoes, shorty wet suit and gloves. Excalibur was in my carry on. No problems whatsoever while flying Southwest or water hunting any resort beaches. I stayed at the Iberostar resort and the water was very rough and with a steep bank. My advice is to head to the downtown area of Cancun where the beaches are a lot calmer and the transition to deeper water is a lot more gradual. ALL BEACHES ARE PUBLIC and have public entrances and I even walked through some of more luxurious hotels with my gear out to the beach without any problems. What sucked for me was not finding this out until the day before we left and after getting the snot knocked out of me in front of my resort. No gold for me that trip but got some silver and about $1500 in RayBans, which everyone on the trip thanked me for. Good Luck

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went in July of 2015 with my Excalibur blue and large scoop. Put my 2 piece straight shaft and scoop in a canvas golf club travel bag along with water shoes, shorty wet suit and gloves. Excalibur was in my carry on. No problems whatsoever while flying Southwest or water hunting any resort beaches. I stayed at the Iberostar resort and the water was very rough and with a steep bank. My advice is to head to the downtown area of Cancun where the beaches are a lot calmer and the transition to deeper water is a lot more gradual. ALL BEACHES ARE PUBLIC and have public entrances and I even walked through some of more luxurious hotels with my gear out to the beach without any problems. What sucked for me was not finding this out until the day before we left and after getting the snot knocked out of me in front of my resort. No gold for me that trip but got some silver and about $1500 in RayBans, which everyone on the trip thanked me for. Good Luck
that is why I hunt south of cancun - 2 times there - cancun waters were horrible - down south calm as a lake
they did a big sand replenishment in cancun also

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Metal detectors are a common site on Mexican tourist beaches. And show & tell posts from Cancun are seen on md'ing forums periodically (like 1kbluetuber and Doc Arey allude to here). Hence apparently no issues, no laws specific to the issue (ie.: no specific prohibition/law).

But I bet if you asked enough Mexican govt. officials and govt. payroll purist archies down there, I bet you can come up with a "no". Perhaps they'd be couching the question in terms of archaeological resources (eg.: raiding the pyramids, sensitive protected monuments, shipwreck salvor laws, exporting gold bars across the border, and so forth). But the REALITY is, that fumble fingers beach-goer type hunting is a non-issue. Moral of the story ? : Don't asked bored pencil pushing archies silly questions.

..... Ask the Hotel they should know.

And then what happens if the hotel passes this "pressing question" to some travel consulate lawyer, who in turns passes the question to the scenario I paint above ? This "ball rolling motion" has actually been known to happen.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ya, for sure, Blend...........

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
Be VERY careful in the " Hotel Zone " area. Undertow, rip currents abound there & many have drowned there !!

OP
OP
G

gold fever pete

Jun 1, 2010
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to thank all for their input. This part is directed to Casper
I also just found out that my friend will be getting married at the Secret Silver Sands Riviera. My inlaws will be going with my wife and myself. The place they are getting married at do not have 2 bedroom condos. First is this place where they are getting married at a good place to hunt? Second can you recommend a place near there that has 2 bedroom condos? Any help is appreciated. Or a travel agency that know their business. Thanks HH GFP

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive hunted Riveira Maya which is - an hour south of Cancun??? on two separate occasions
that's where my finds were from - I hit different areas down there not just one resort
I hit beaches north of the ferry pier to Cozumel and in front of resorts south of there
all in the water - well like 99% water - Ive wanted to give Cancun a shot and probably will eventually - but have heard as some have mentioned - water up there are rougher with rip currents
you should be able to do dry sand and maybe some wet sand or real shallow - that is not my cup of tea - unless that is only thing available
I hit with mask & snorkel and will do waist deep to just over my head if possible - the waters less hit
hopefully you might see calm waters when you are down there - ive never checked to see when their calmer season is
waters and weather down south have been great for me for the most part - there was one resort where waters were rough and viz was not the greatest
and I got a few gold there in cracks in the dead reef where I had to dive down to get them
also have gone to Cozumel and done pretty good - but don't know if you'll be down there long enough to take ferry over there

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
A friend on mines niece, went there on their honeymoon. They arrived in the morning, so there room wasn't ready, yet. They stored their luggage, put on swim suits & went to the beach. With 2 minutes of getting into the water, he disappeared & was swept out to sea. He was a good swimmer,,,, but he drowned. His body wasn't recovered til a couple of days later. I have a few Mexican friends who work along that beach & said that the newspapers, nor the government will discuss the number of drownings , there. The are is typically called " The Hotel Zone." PLEASE be careful.
I was there one time & a " Human Chain " was formed to save a man. He had been standing in knee deep water, when the sand shifted under his feet , causing him to fall & start going out to sea. He was saved that day & was lucky !!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread