**************CANDED CAMERA*******************

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well, not any more. They are everywhere! They just installed a new traffic light in town complete with 4 cameras. Why does every intersection with a light need 4 cameras? Just think of the cost not only of the cameras, but the connecting network and large staff to monitor the flow. How can the towns and state justify the cost with such a poor economy. Just what is the payback? Are they planning an elaborate automatic citation network? Perhaps NSA is getting the feed and that is why they are building the worlds largest memory network in Utah. Something to think about. Frank...

111-1 profileblk.jpg

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Where I live, we had the camera installed throughout the county ... either a Federal government agency did it or they're dummie cameras (more likely the latter) as I knew the most experienced surveillance camera expert in the area and he told me that the county has no ability to monitor them at all. He was friends with the sheriff (set up all of the monitoring equipment in the county jail, city jails, courthouses, etc. They can't afford to keep those camera systems up, how are they going to monitor multiple cams at intersections?

Just look up dummy surveillance cameras and find the ones mounted in your town.

If you don't find it, yours may be real.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had several new lights installed and all have cameras. They said they were for traffic flow. As far as them keeping a eye on all of them they don't. It's not the purpose, they have them to help in solving crimes. They point them so they pick up as much of a area as they can so if a break in happens at a store down the block they still see it when investigating a crime. Same at lights they use them for accident confirmation and time stamps. Now metropolises use them with software that tracks every camera and searches for anything on a list then alerts a operator and they determine to call police or not. Also they use them for face scanning for wanted people. So big brother is out there just more like little brother lol.

Here the gov buildings had to instal security devices or lose federal dollars. The state is now requiring steel fire doors in every doorway, or they'll lose state money. And every agency cut something to pay for it. Most agency's hate them cameras around here were a small town we don't like people watching over our shoulders all the time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
The big question is where is the payback? There is a large amount of taxpayer money spent on installing and monitoring these cameras. It appears to be gov. just spying on us. I really don't see it helping out on the crime seen or traffic situations to any great extent. You should see the monitering, it is a huge room with screens lining the walls. There are so many cameras that each monitor has to rotate from sean to sean. There is open access to these cameras. The TV news taps into it, so that means any one that is technically savvy can hack into it and stalk almost anyone. Think about it. Frank...

111-1 profile.jpg

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are some other shady deals with Red light cameras. Because they are so expensive, localities would be forced to write more tickets, and might change yellow light times to catch you.

Other municipalities want them and give them to be monitored by private contractors, who then get a cut of the cost of the ticket.. Yeah that won't cause any problems, Huh?

Poor Florida, I keep pointing them out.
Speed Cam Contractor Responds To Challenged Tickets By Cropping Photos, Moving Cameras | Techdirt
"While the discussion over whether red light and speed cameras are helping or hurting continues, there's no denying they're very profitable. In most communities, the beneficiaries of the additional income are extremely reluctant to unplug the cash cow (if you will...). The beneficiary least likely to welcome any dip in income are the companies supplying the camera systems.

American Traffic Solutions is one of two major traffic cam contractors. Its DC-Maryland camera system has recently run into a few snags in the money-making department due to challenged tickets. In one documented case, a driver had his ticket thrown out because the photographic "evidence" showed two vehicles in frame -- and in radar range. (This leads one to speculate whether ATS simply decided to issue two tickets...)

Rather than simply toss out any questionable photos, ATS has decided it would be simpler (read: more profitable) to do a little creative work to alter the output."

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
In Bel Air, MD at one red light camera location, they shortened the yellow time resulting in tickets issued, but the drivers realizing that the yellow had been shortened jammed on there breaks if they saw yellow causing an increase in rear end accidents. That camera was relocated. If you put white vectorized tape on the areas facing the camera at the tag, they will blind the camera. this is legal. You can also put a Fresnel lens sheet over your tag. This way, you can only see your tag from right behind. questionable. There is a spray can coating you can spray on your tag which makes the whole tag reflect so the numbers don't show. This is legal since it just reflects the flash. You could also mount a camera flash with slave unit which would flash when the red light camera flashed, blinding it. Pick your defense! Frank...

111-1 profile.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I just got a letter from the state of DE. It showed the rear of my MH. It was taken by a toll booth camera. .50 toll violation, $25 fine.
Here's the situation, I pulled up to the toll machine and it is covered with a redish/brown fitted cloth cover that prevents me from depositing my .50 which is in my hand so I drive away thinking the machine is in for repairs. I will send in the form with an explanation and see what happens. Frank...

111-1 profileblk.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions