BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all.

I found these today at a skirmish site where the yanks blew up a Confederate railroad bridge. I think the iron ball may be canister shot, but would like confirmation from the experts. It's about 1.1 to 1.2 inches in diameter and weighs 2.9 oz. I have no idea if the other item is possibly CW related. Any help would be appreciated!

8Yo02VW.jpg

rwJxUss.jpg

Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure about the ball but your other piece looks like part of a snaffle bit.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep, that's canister. That is exactly the size of a canister ball I cleaned this morning. Those clean up super nice, if you know what you're doing.

DSC_0293.jpg

That black ball in the center is a canister ball found in Chancellorsville by my dad. Before, it looked like a giant two inch round blob of rust. I took a small hammer, and gently tapped at the rust until it fell of in chunks. Then I soaked it in vinegar, overnight, give it a lick and a promise with a brass wire brush, and seal it with WD-40, and that's a killer display item.

Great find!

Oh, and sorry for the hijack.

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, that's canister. That is exactly the size of a canister ball I cleaned this morning. Those clean up super nice, if you know what you're doing.

View attachment 1746566

That black ball in the center is a canister ball found in Chancellorsville by my dad. Before, it looked like a giant two inch round blob of rust. I took a small hammer, and gently tapped at the rust until it fell of in chunks. Then I soaked it in vinegar, overnight, give it a lick and a promise with a brass wire brush, and seal it with WD-40, and that's a killer display item.

Great find!

Oh, and sorry for the hijack.

Thank you for the confirmation! And I appreciate the tips on how to make it look better. I'll definitely give that a go.

PS - Very cool display. Love that plate. I'm hoping to get lucky and find one of those eventually, but I don't get to hunt a lot of CW spots.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No problem, glad to help!

P.S. I wish I found the plate, but my dad did, in Chancellorsville.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Was this type thing used by both sides or is this likely Union?

It depends where you found it. If you dug it in a confederate position, it's yankee. Opposite for Confederates. If it was a battle site, who knows. Both sides used them.

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It depends where you found it. If you dug it in a confederate position, it's yankee. Opposite for Confederates. If it was a battle site, who knows. Both sides used them.

Thanks. It was a small skirmish site where the yanks came to blow up a Confederate train bridge they were protecting.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It seems odd that they would be firing canister there. Perhaps there was another action there at some point? Huh.

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It seems odd that they would be firing canister there. Perhaps there was another action there at some point? Huh.

I am not aware of any other action there, but there certainly could have been. I did find some friction primers there also. That would be another clue there was at least some artillery.

It's also possible that might not really be canister shot and is railroad related. There is a ton of RR related iron in the area. But based on the size being very close to known canister shot, I'm leaning towards that's what it is.

I need to do some more research on the skirmish to see if I can find any mention of artillery being there.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am 100% convinced that is Canister. I am also a railroad guy, and there is no way that's railroad related. The friction primers prove that as well. Perhaps it came out of one of the shells. Soldiers were young back then, some practically kids. Perhaps one figured a way to get a ball out...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread