Cannon Found And Recovered

kittspirate

May 5, 2010
St. Kitts And Nevis
Detector(s) used
Minelab explorer se pro Garrett GTAX 550 / Trident Viper
Well i was just doing a little hunting after work last night at the beach, and some new eroision had took place within the last six weeks. My machine starts screaming, soon as a took a scoop i hit something solid. i removed 4'' of sand and was starring at the tip of the barrel. I quickly called my buddy to tell him i found a cannon, and i needed some help recovering it. We dug all around it and i had to go get a L-60 loader to pull it out. It took us two hours to safely recover and put in my buddys compound. Now we have to find or make a 7' tank to start flushing the salt out of it. i really think it will take 8-12 months of soaking in fresh water to be able to restore. ( will take any advise on restoring it) usally with my cannon balls i soak them for 6 months changing the water every other day and the do electrolis for about a month. this is going to be a challange.

I love this place, its like the wild west, do what you want to till someone tells you to stop.

HH
Rain

Attachments

• Treasures 002.jpg
    Treasures 002.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 1,189
  • Treasures 003.jpg
    Treasures 003.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 1,185
Upvote 0

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW :o .... great find...congrats!
H

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice relic recovery SK pirate! :notworthy:

I wish I was there to help you restore the piece!

Hold on a sec and I'll ask my wife if I can go . . . it doesn't matter now, she said "no bloody way"! :nono: :laughing7:

Best of luck to you mate! :icon_thumright:
Dave

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
Very interesting find,looks like a great place to hunt. To soak the cannon it would be very simple to dig a hole in the ground,line it with a piece of roofing rubber(you may be able to access some at your work site),then use a sump pump or even a fish-tank pump to remove the water. Would be very similar to building a backyard pond,good luck...shoot

TN_MD

Jan 6, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Radio Shack 2v6 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD , And a Homebuilt M.D.
Congrats on your Find , :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Hope u are able to preserve it.

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.
Awesome!!!!!!!! :notworthy: :headbang: :icon_thumright: I would hang that bad boy over my mantle! Great job!

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great recovery!!!!! :o :o :o MR TUFF

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME!!
YOU DON'T REALLY THINK ANYBODY IS GOING TO TELL YOU TO STOP. DO YOU??

YOU SAID "WILD WEST"..... ANYBODY DOWN THERE GOT A BIGGER CANNON THAN YOU?
THAT WOULD BE A "MAKE MY DAY" MOMENT. :icon_pirat: :icon_pirat: :icon_pirat: :icon_pirat:

SERIOUSLY GREAT FIND!
PM

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW !!!!! :icon_pirat: What a find !!!!!!! :notworthy: Got my vote

OP
OP
kittspirate

kittspirate

May 5, 2010
St. Kitts And Nevis
Detector(s) used
Minelab explorer se pro Garrett GTAX 550 / Trident Viper
Timekiller said:
It's a Killer find & Banner for sure.Looks like a Garrison Cannon. :thumbsup: But I'm afraid your gonna have your work cut out to save it the right way.(And may need to consider turning it over to someone who can) :-\ First thing would be get it back in the water tell you have a plan in my opinion.Cause I know enough that if it remains out it's gonna start falling apart first around those mounts most likely.It takes years I see some say three to save one that's been under salt water.Just from talking to some of the people working on the Queen Anne's Revenge stuff.David Moore for one as he has helped me a little on smaller things for Id's Good guy.Otherwise if you decide to do it your self maybe build some plywood box caulk it up good & go from there.I Googled your spot cause I know nothing from down there in the Islands never been. :( But I see plenty of swimming pools and such in your area looks like the life :laughing7: Can't believe all that developement there & nothing to build with :icon_scratch: :D Anyway I hope your able to save it.I'll add some sites below that may help.
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
The Gun I believe.
http://xenophongroup.com/mcjoynt/yrtnarty.htm

Conservation.
http://www.qaronline.org/conservation/consintro.htm
http://fnpw.org.au/ForSupporters/PAWS/enews4/cannon.htm
http://news.ncdcr.gov/2010/09/21/saving-cannons-with-electrolysis-at-blackbeard-shipwreck-site/

Banner Vote Going In! :thumbsup:

Pete,

Thank you for all the info and links. We are going to make a 2'x1.5'x7 wooden tank and line it with PVC membrane and install a ball valve. The cannon was found on the beach so it still has salt in it but I wouldn't want to put it in the ocean. We will have it soaking in fresh water by next weekend. Will update photos of tank later this week. Once again thanks for all the great info.

HH
Rain

KEVTEC

Apr 19, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V-3 upgraded to V3I W/ SEF 15X12 Butterfly coil, White's Vision upgraded to V3I W 12 in coil, Minelab Excaliber II, Minelab E Trac, Minelab GPX 5000, Discovery TF 900 2 box, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Stkittspirate said:
search and recovery said:
Awesome relic. I nominated you for a banner. One find I do not have in my relic collection, but it is on my wish list. It sounds like you are on the right track with the restoration. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

The hardest part of the restoration is going to be finding a tank to soak it in, it will need to have or i will have to add a drain plug to be able to change the water. any suggestions, take in mind we dont have home depot or walmarts down here. i might have to make a tank out of scap steel and then coat the steel tank with something (like bedliner). i dont know ill think of something over the weekend.

Please post if you have any ideas.
thanks
Go to TSC and get one of the cattle watering tubs. They are around 8 ft long and aren't that expensive.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread